Chapter 1 - the first meeting

06/3/2023

I wonder if the boys remember the first day I met them. I shuffled into the big orphanage full of vampires, clutching the necklace that my mum had given me and allowing the words she had whispered in my ears to echo around my head: 'Stay strong Sophie, I will be back for you soon.' If I had known what she'd really meant by those words back then, I wouldn't have devoted ten years of my life to looking for her.

The scary lady with grey hair and a stern looking face showed me to my room, and as soon the doors opened and I saw the boys, they stared at me with curiosity all over their faces. It was a look I often get from vampires: They don't know what to think of me. Am I one of them? Or am I the enemy? The fang on one side of my mouth is sharp and prominent, but on my left side, my fang never grew. As the door to the room closed behind me, I looked between the three boys in front of me. One was tall with doe eyes and jet black hair, around three years older than me. The boy on his left side was a blonde who looked the same age as me, though taller. The other was shorter than his companions, with sweet looking grey cat eyes and dark brown hair. He looked like he could be younger than all of us, but something about his aura told me he was mature enough to be older.

'Hello,' said the boy with jet black hair. 'I'm Heeseung. Its nice to meet you. I guess you're Sophie This is Jungwon, and this is Ni-ki. I'm older than both of them, so I usually look after them. How old are you?'

'I'm seven,' I said in a shy voice.

'Me too!' Ni-ki exclaimed, walking over to me. 'Jungwon hyung is eight and Heeseung hyung is eleven.' He grabbed my bag and flung it onto the bed in the top right corner.

'Heeseung hyung, call the others!' Ni-ki said. Heeseung put a hand to his head and closed his eyes. One moment later, the door swung open and four other boys marched into the room. One had a sweet looking face with sandy blonde, curly hair. Next to him was a tall boy with a small face and sharp, elegant features. Just behind them were two other children, one with soft, charming, puppy like features and wavy brown hair, and the other with a defined jaw and straight dark hair, complete with gold rimmed glasses that gave him a scholarly yet cool vibe at the same time. The sandy blonde eyed me curiously, pressing his lips together slightly as he examined me, his eyes moving from my dirt stained face to tattered clothes. As his head moved, his whole body moved with it, doing a sort of body-roll. He whirled around energetically to face Heeseung.

'Hyung, who's this?' he asked, eyes widening with curiosity.

'This is Sophie, Miss Gray told us she would come, remember?' Heeseung told him, speaking as though he were talking to his son. 'Sophie,' he said, turning to me, 'They are Sunoo, Sunghoon, Jay and Jake. The seven of us are always together, we've looked after each other since we were young. If you're friends with one of us, you're friends with all of us,' Heeseung said. I looked around at all of them, suddenly feeling very shy. But as I turned to each of them in turn, they smiled. I felt slightly relieved, enough to talk.

'Are you brothers then?' I asked. They exchanged looks between each other.

'The truth is... we don't know,' Jungwon replied.