Chapter One ⇒ translucent

I R I S

I find peace in the way our reality stems from every choice we ever made, we're often told that our future is set in stone— That all our choices were pre-decided to get to this exact point in life, but I don't believe that. 

I believe that our path to the future is solely made up along the way, that the choices we make pave the pathway and each one you make holds a very different reality.

I made the decision when I was younger to spend the rest of my time in the outer banks snatching any opportunity I had to get out.

"To our graduates of 2023!" Principal Conners announces into the microphone, standing proudly alongside our teachers over the years as they give a round of applause.

In the dead heat of June, I throw my graduation cap into the air along with the peers I've spent the last four years with.

Tears are being shed, and cheering all around me as the music begins to blast through the football field of our high school. Chairs were knocked over as some boys jumped on top of one another, shouting that they finally did it. Girls hugged their friends like it was the last time they'd ever seen each other.

You're almost out, Iris. I thought to myself.

I remain unmoving and quiet as I took in my surroundings, smiling softly as my twin sister grabs onto my shoulders and turns me to face her. There's an emotion behind her eyes that makes my chest ache, one she tries to hide with a toothy smile.

Two more months, Iris.

"We're graduates, Ivy." She announces that like it's the first time she truly believes in it. Tears begin to well in her eyes right before she pulls me into her embrace.

I rub her back, leading my head into her shoulder and exhaling. Finally, my schooling in the Outerbanks was over— Finally, I would experience the freedom I've always wanted.

Everything I worked so hard for was just around the corner, but the way Sarah breaks in my arms. Tightening her grip around my waist, and holding me against her like I was bound to slip away... It was almost enough to convince me my thoughts throughout this ceremony had been wrong.

Almost, but not enough.

"I'm so proud of you girls," Dad smiles raising his glass in the air, the slight breeze causes a shiver down my spine. His eyes flicker to me for a moment before landing back on Sarah. "I can't wait to see everything you're going to do."

He includes me in this speech, but deep down I know that this is only for Sarah. His golden child. His favourite.

I've always been a reminder of Mom, all her worst parts, in Dad's eyes.

"Everyone who's important surrounds this table, and that's all it matters. It's how it should always stay." The lump in my throat returns, that was for me.

Rafe's head hangs low, dressed exactly like Dad's. Ward Cameron has always been headstrong, his beliefs should be our beliefs and anyone that dares to question them is wrong.

Life on the outer banks is his paradise, family should always remain together.

Rafe constantly looks for approval from our father, and Sarah never has to try for it. That's something that has always set Rafe on the wrong path, constantly feeling like second best despite being the firstborn— Firstborn and only son, at that.

Ever since the beginning of this year, Rafe's been following in Dad's footsteps. Shadowing to take over the business, but in the back of his mind I'm sure he worries that if Sarah ever asked Dad to become head once he retires, she'd have it.