Chapter 1 - First Day

I look outside the window of my ethnic studies class hoping to make the time go by faster. It was my first day at this school and I already hated it. As my last class was a free period, I couldn't wait to go home. It was a Friday so I didn't have to worry about coming back the next day. I turn to stare at the clock for almost the 10th time praying I only had a a few minutes left. Thank god I did.

I rush out the door as soon as the bell rings and head straight to the drop off curve where my mom was supposed to pick me up. I was already in a bad mood by the time I got into the car.

"So how was your first day at school?" My mom says with a big smile on her face. I don't even bother forcing a smile back.

"It was okay I guess" I say avoiding eye contact by looking out the window. I know that made her upset but I didn't want to lie to her either. She's quiet for a few seconds with a stressed out look on her face. I felt bad after everything she had done for us. After everything she had done for me.

As soon as we arrived home my memories came rushing back to me. Why I moved here and what would happen if I hadn't moved.

It was all thanks to my stepmother, she had managed to get into my fathers head using her shitty but functioning manipulation tactics. He fell in love with her and eventually fell completely in control by her.

By the time I realized how she treated me and my father I had already grown too depressed to do anything about it. I would text my mother and call her as often as possible since she was one of my only supports at that time. She had lived in Rio de Janeiro after she lost custody of me. Of course I still had my best friend Ash, but I was only allowed to hang with her for a certain amount of time.

Eventually, my mother became the only person I could rely on for my mental breakdowns caused by my stepmother. Things got so bad my mom had to fly down to live with me. And now she was doing everything she could to give us the best life from scratch.

School was starting again and I was really hoping it would be better than the first day. I had English first period which I didn't mind since it's one of my favorite subjects.

As soon as I walk in the class anxiety fills my lungs as I look around the room with unfamiliar faces. The thought that I would have to start all over again made me stressed but angry at the same time.

After English I had PE, which everyone knows is the most social class to take. Me being new and having nobody to talk to, I sat out for my first day.

I watched as everyone talked to their friends and laughed. I had never felt so lonely before. All I could do was sit there and blame my stepmother for being such a cunt.

When PE ended I headed towards my locker. I turned around in confusion when a guy came up to me.

"Hey" he says while smiling at me. Do I know him? Obviously not, I'm new. Why is he talking to me?

"Uh hi" I say still confused at his approach, though I was relived I didn't have to make the first interaction.

"Our lockers are close to each other. Your lockers in the A building right?" He says trying to make the conversation less awkward.

"Yea it is. I'm Jia by the way" I reply with a smile as I warm up to the conversation.

"I'm Nick. Nice to meet you".