S2 Ep5: The Mask of Mr. Dennis

Emerald Spider is not having the best day, which is annoying, considering it's Friday. Her arms are a bit sore from the fight at Yankee Stadium. Despite it being relatively easy to take down all of those robots, it was still a one-on-one match with hers.

The entire morning was spent in court, which is just now ending. Captain Stacy asked if one of the Spiderlings could attend this one, since Alister Smythe is (apparently) part of a very wealthy family. His own father, Spencer, was representing him as his lawyer, and Emmy was there as a witness. She finds it kind of odd, since there were Yankee players who could have easily told the jury exactly what happened. It's not until the end of the trial does she understand the real reason Captain Stacy wanted her presence.

The walk down the stairs from the courthouse, Stacy lighting a cigarette. Clearly, he's stressed beyond belief. "I can't even fathom that Smythe was working under my nose the whole time."

"You and me both," Emmy says, sighing. "This is all getting out of hand."

"Yeah, this week has been quite busy for you Spiders." He glances at her with a tinge of worry. "How are you holding up?"

"We're managing," she admits. "But, after yesterday, we are all trying to take a break."

"Sorry for asking for you to come in costume, but I needed to talk to you in person." He pauses for a moment, looking over his shoulder. "Smythe was in charge of the files that went missing. The ones about the Scorpion incident and the dead scientists."

"Do you think someone paid him off to dispose of the files?"

"None of that came up on trial. There was simply no way of proving that," he says sadly. "But, it has to be him. I'm just glad he's behind bars for a while. That way, we can keep him out of our systems."

"So, what now? Are you going to question him about it?"

"I was hoping you'd help me."

Emmy chuckles. "What? Like a good cop, bad cop sort of thing?"

Stacy smiles. "Something like that. I'd also like a bit of muscle, if I'm being completely honest. I know the aggressors are locked up pretty tightly in the Raft, but they can all overpower the guards. If one thing goes wrong while I'm there..."

"Oh, I get ya. Yeah, I'll totally go if it'll make you feel better. I owe you one after saving my siblings and all."

"Thanks," he says, breathing a sigh of relief. "Meet me at the Raft's entrance at noon."

"I'll be there on the dot," she says.

"Thank you again, really."

"It's no problem at all, Captain."

He tips his hat to her and walks away, and Emerald Spider mutters to herself, "I hope my professors don't mind me skipping out today. I guess one missed day of the semester won't hurt."

Theme Song

It's a little uncomfortable for her as everyone in the coffee shop is staring at her. Emerald Spider wishes she brought a change of clothes, but she figured she was going straight home after Smythe's trial. When she gets to the front of the line, she orders a latte and stretches as she sits at a booth.

"Um, um, Miss Emerald Spider?" a little girl asks, shyly walking up to her. "I was wondering if you could sign my drawing?"

Emmy blinks and smiles behind her mask. "Of course I can! What's your name?"

"Nadia," she says, blushing.

Emmy can see the girl's parents giving her a thumbs up and taking pictures with their phones. She signs her super hero name in the corner of the drawing and adds a winking face. "There you go, Nadia!"