Trey's Story - Chapter 15 (Get Diamond)

Going back a few months to the incident at the little, podunk town in Mississippi, things with Rico and Diamond took off afterward. She said that night she wanted to get out of town and she meant that. Rico and I went on to Atlanta to finish our run and she packed up all of her things and moved to New Orleans two days after the shooting.

Rico had me on the phone while we were rode to Atlanta and looked up apartments to help Diamond find a nice and affordable place to stay. Before we left Rico told her that she was welcome to come stay with him until she found a place, but I told him that wasn't a good idea.

I had nothing against her, but they just met and he didn't know her well enough. But, there was not much I needed to do to convince him, because she was not too keen on that idea either. She thanked him and told him she would just like to find her own place to live.

So like a good brother, I rode shotgun, checking out for a woman my brother just met– but clearly was falling head over heels for.

For the rest of the trip, we did not spend much time talking to each other as I would have wanted but it was still nice to see the smile on Rico's face while he talked to Diamond for most of the trip.

We got to Atlanta not knowing what to expect based on what happened at the club. Would we be walking into a setup, with people waiting there for revenge? Surprisingly, everything went smoothly with the drop off and we quickly got the hell out of there not wasting any time.

The way home was more of the same: Him on the phone, smiling and making damn goo-goo eyes through the phone with this woman.

"Ok, nigga damn. You blushing and shit", I said.

"Diamond, this fool is going to call you back before you make him have a damn wreck", I said loud enough for her to hear me through the phone.

"Babe, I will call you later, this nigga jealous", he said jokingly into the phone.

"Fool! I ain't jealous, I got a wife and kids at home, I am just scared your ass ain't paying attention and going to kill me, so I won't make it home to see my wife and kids", I shot back at him.

He finally hung up the phone.

"What you want nigga, you want me to hug you or something?", Rico said to me as he reached over towards me.

"Man, put your damn hands back on the steering wheel!", I screamed, knocking his hand off my shoulder.

He laughed, "Man you horny or something? Let me get you back to your wife so you can knock the edge off!"

I just looked at him, trying not to laugh, but listening to his conversations did have me missing my wife.

We finally got a chance to talk, and I swear the entire ride was him talking about her. It didn't matter what we were talking about, the damn conversation circled back to her. But you know what, I was happy for him to find somebody that made him feel that way. When Tania said she was moving, you could tell it really hurt him.

"Bro, so I need your opinion," he said to me in a serious tone.

I nodded at him to go ahead and ask whatever was on his mind.

"How should I handle that incident at the club with her? Is it too soon to tell her everything? Should we let her think it was somebody trying to rob us?", he had legitimate questions that needed to be answered.

I paused for a second, because that was a tough situation. I wanted to think through my response before I answered.

"Rico, if you want to build a long-term relationship, you are going to have to start it out on a foundation of truth", I said to him as honestly as I knew how.