Chapter 2: Something new

Kiara POV

On some beach

I woke up blinking, I tried to move but my wing hurt and so did my leg then the memories rushed back, the dragons, the battle. I stood up shakily and looked around, there were cliffs blocking me from walking away, but one of the walls was shaped differently. My scales began to prick and I turned around, it was that male swiftwing, the one I saved. He was watching me. His golden eyes looking me over and I felt self conscious. He came closer and landed and started walking toward me. I let out a small growl and shielded my wounds from him.

Winger POV

On a beach with a female swiftwing

She growled. "I only want to help. Are you okay?" I said gently, trying not to scare her or make her attack. "Who are you and where did you come from?" she questioned, still growling softly. Suddenly, a large growl split the air. Wolves! A pack of 20 or more. She turned around and said, "Let the wolves follow me and when I say blast, blast at the wolves.

Kiara POV

On a beach and being chased by wolves. Great.

I began to act as the other swiftwing took to the air. I held my leg and wing in the most injured way possible and began to take slow shuffling steps, whimpering along the way. Come on, follow me. The wolves turned toward me and I began to run as fast as I could, still whimpering. I approached the cliff walls. There, that's how the wolves got in. A narrow tunnel, just big enough for a dragon or a wolf to go in. I wasted no time squeezing down the tunnel. I saw light up ahead, the forest. I pushed my injured leg and squeezed out of the tunnel and into the forest. "Blast!" I roared as I started gathering up my own blast.

Winger POV

On a beach, waiting

I heard the roar and fired down the tunnel toward the wolves. I heard yelps and boom. Some of the cliff was falling. Rocks as big as me were coming down, I immediately launched into the air, dodging and weaving as I went. Soon it stopped, and the tunnel had collapsed. I had to make sure that swiftwing was okay. I went to the other side of the damage and saw the swiftwing waiting there. She seemed fine until I got closer and saw her other side. It was bleeding, her leg and wing wounded badly. There were scratches on her tail that looked fresh. "Are you okay?" I asked, feeling oddly protective as her eyes searched me.

Kiara POV

In some part of the forest with rocks around me and a swiftwing

"Are you okay?' he asked with something in his eyes. Like he was the first dragon to actually care after.. after mom. The name brought back painful memories and then I was drowning, blackness surrounded me. The way she smiled, how lifeless her mounted head looked. The way she laughed and how she roared when she was captured as if she knew it was for the last time. The tide of memories became deeper, I couldn't breathe, but then through it all, all the pain, all the wanting, something came through. The black faded from my vision and I woke to the swiftwing's wings around me, and him shaking me.

W POV

In a forest feeling who knows what

She was fine one moment,but then she collapsed, shaking. I ran over and started trying to wake her up. What was happening to her?! Was she dying? I had to bring her to the roost. I wrapped my wings around her, preparing to position her on my back when her heart beat rose and her breath quickened. She seemed to be waking up. She wasn't dying! Now I definitely need to get her to the roost. I shook her as I prepared to move her on my back. The breathing leveled out and I found a pair of the most beautiful eyes staring at me. They were swirled all blue and purple marbled over with flecks of silver in them. Suddenly she pushed me away and began limping heavily toward the woods. "Wait", I called out. She looked at me and I knew that she knew that I was only helping. "You're injured. If you come with me, me and my friends can take care of you till you're better".

Kiara POV

Same setting

He was offering to help. I couldn't survive on my own. "Fine", I responded, "and by the way, good blast any other dragon probably would have missed it". He looked surprised as I limped over to him and got on his back. By fire it was embarrassing, but once we got in the air, it was better. He was a good steady flier and his vibrant blue was the color of the sky. Wait, was I considering him to be a potential mate? No way, especially because of who I am. I didn't even know his name. "Um, I never caught your name". "Winger. What's yours?", Winger responded. "Kiara",We came near to the lighthouse where I first saw him. I thought he lived alone. "This is our home, the roost" Winger stated, "and that's Huttsgalore, our town". Right as I was going to ask who is our, a fastfin and a relentless razorwing appeared before us. I jerked back in surprise at what was on their backs. Humans!

Winger POV

In the air above Huttsgalor with Summer, Cutter, and Kiara

I felt Kiara move and I leaned to make sure she didn't fall. "Winger!" shouted Dak. "Where have you been", asked Summer. "Who's your friend?" questioned Layla. I felt Kiara growl on my back. "These are my friends." I said as burple and aggro flew up. "Yeah, said Layla soothingly, "We won't hurt you". "You speak dragon", said Kiara in surprise, "How?". "That can be a story for later", I interrupted, "How about we land". I landed and collapsed.

Kiara POV

At a Roost with a bunch of strange dragons and humans.

I just stood there, shielding my side. The grass felt nice after all the rocks and sand. Then the questions came. "Who are you?". "What is your name?". "Why did Winger carry you?". I backed away then a rockspitter pointed to my side and asked, "What happened?". They all came over and gasped, by now the untreated wounds were swollen, red and crusted with blood. I growled, I didn't trust any of them, especially not the humans. "Hey", Winger was up, "Kiara needs to be treated fast, like now". Winger came over to me, you have to trust him as if he read my thoughts. just in the female human touch my injured wing. I spun around and growled at her, bearing my teeth, then Winger stepped in between us and growled at me. He was protecting the human. Why? "I told you", he said, "you have to trust them". Suddenly, I saw their bond, they were a family, humans and dragons together, so I decided to trust them. For now anyway