Chapter 3

Richie and Beverly gazed at the glistening stars as the prickling grass brushed against their vulnerable skin.

Bev sat herself up and took a swig of liquid from a burnt orange bottle. No one knew how Bill got his hands on the cases of bottled beer but that kid was full of surprises that tonight. Richie turned his head to see two finished bottles laying at his side. Richie let out a sad, beaten sigh and sat himself up grabbing a third bottle, half empty, that sat separate from the two unfilled bottles. He took a long swig and threw the bottle across the backyard. Bev let out a soft giggle and Richie smiled.

Richie turned his attention back to the stars that kissed glimpses of light across his freckled face. The stars shined exceptionally bright that night. Richie loved the way the dim light kissed his face and skin. It lifted weights off of his chest and allowed his lungs to take a strong, fulfilling breath. But his breaths were cut short due to how much he's been drinking.

Richie felt a sudden nudge on the side of his shoulder. Richie surveyed the head that rested on his left shoulder. Beverly's bright red hair caught the stars light giving her hair diamond accents. It's left Richie breathless. Just then, Richie's face displayed a devilish smile.

"So," Richie said slyly, "you and Ben huh?"

Beverly suddenly choked on air and took her head off of Richie's shoulder, glaring daggers at the boys coke bottled glasses. "Excuse me Trashmouth?"

Richie shrugged "I mean, you're not denying it."

Beverly's face beamed with a light pink, "At least I can feel feelings. Unlike some people."

Richie put his hand over his heart, and started fake crying "Oh bevy how could you!"

"Well you're not denying it either now are you?"

Richie sat there, his head tipped down and silent. Bev peaked her head over to take a glance at the boy before shock filled her face.

"Richie god damn Tozier...you like someone don't you?!" Beverly started to squeal as Richie kept his mouth quiet. Beverly grasped his shoulders and began to violently shake the boy. "Who. Is. It?! Tell. MEEEEEEE?!"

"Will you shut up??"

"Not until you tell me"

Richie let out a sign "It's a boy."

Beverly rolled her eyes, "No shit loverboy. You came out a few months ago, I guess being gay doesn't mean anything to you."

"Will you actually shut the fuck up." Richie said. Tears began to fill his eyes. He has never admitted to liking a boy before. Let alone his best friend. But Beverly didn't know the details. Not yet.

Beverly looked a Richie in sorrow and locked eye contact with the aching boy.

"Hey, hey I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to. Just know I'm here to support you and love you through anything."

Richie sniffled and sighed once again. "Thanks bevy."

"Now can you at least describe this mystery boy...?"

"Jesus Christ you won't let this go, will you."

"Nope" Beverly said, exaggerating the p.

"Well, he had these wonderful dark chocolate curls at bounce as he walks. His eyes a light brown, so sweet that you could get lost in for hours, maybe even days on end. He has this adorable laugh that tightens my lungs, making the body warm and weightless...."

Beverly listens to every word with intent. Richie has never been a person of emotion, let alone expressing them. So when Richie has an emotion to share, Beverly listens with all ears.

"...He always rants about the stupid diseases you can obtain from touching a mother fucking leaf.." Bev gasps as Richie says this sentence. Richie can feel his cheeks grow red. Dark red.

"YOU LIKE EDDIE!!"

"Shut up they might hear you!!" Richie says in a whispered tone. But Beverly has stood up and is started to jump up and down from all of the excitement.

"YOU LIKE EDDIE!! I CANT BELIEVE THIS RICH!"

Richie quickly got up and held Beverly down by her shoulder to keep her body on to the ground. "Yes, I like Eds. A lot in that matter. But I can't tell him that and neither can you. Promise me Bev. Promise me you won't tell him. Promise me." Richie was tearing up. Unexpected tears fell from his eyes down to his chin. Beverly gave a sorrowful look before hugging Richie.

"Your secret is safe with me." Bev says in a hushed tone. The hug was so quick that Richie wasn't even able to endure her embrace before they withheld eye contact. "You have to tell him though. And I think I know how."

Richie groaned "Bev I'm not doing anything 'romantic' ok? This isn't some love story where I'm the main fucking character."

"But you've gotta hear it! Please?"

"No Bev, I'm serious. I'll tell him when I'm ready ok?"

Beverly rolled her eyes, unsatisfactorily "Fine. Well come inside with me, it's getting late and we better get going to bed."

"Since when did you become responsible?"

"Since never dickwad, I'm just tired and don't wanna leave you alone in the fucking cold. Unless you'd like to freeze.."

"Yup, that's my cue!"

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Richie had gotten into pj's and emitted from the basement bathroom. Everyone was asleep.

Ben, Mike and Beverly had created some from of a cuddle pile on the couch. Stan and Bill slept next to each other, holding hands. Richie looked around for his sleeping bag and found it in a far corner next to sleeping Eds. Eddie had fallen asleep sitting up against a wall, his legs spread out and his arms cuddling an oddly familiar sweater. Richie couldn't tell who's sweater is was exactly so he just assumed it belonged to Eddie.

Richie scooted down into his sleeping bag and began to calmly drift off to sleep. Weight lifted off his chest after revealing his infatuation.

A/N: Hey was this chapter good? I'm semi-proud of it but it seems like it sucks. Idk. What do you guys think?! (Almost 1,000 words tho!!)