Thus Always To Tyrants

Tyrannical Leaders Will Inevitably Be Overthrown / THUS ALWAYS TO TYRANTS

" I'm not afraid to die. "

NATALIA COSTA had seen sickness. She'd seen drugs and alcohol and tears drying against tiny cheeks. She'd seen children of all ages kissed by the cruel lips of pain. So, when she heard that people were taking bullets to the chest only to continue to walk, she was not surprised. Many years as a social worker had numbed her to the pain of humanity's cruelty.

It was no surprise that the universe had created a way to control the population of sinners. For too long men had laid their hands on their wives and children. For too long children had been lulled to sleep by the sound of raised voices and smashing bottles. She had long ago lost count of the people who came to her with reports of infants born addicted to drugs and children with cuts and bruises that would leave ugly scars.

Life was a gift and humanity had long ago retired their reasons to deserve it. It seemed only fitting that the earth would take back what it had gifted to them. Death didn't surprise Natalia. Not one bit.

LETTY ALVES had heard the rumours. Seen the videos. Every person she knew would come to her with their own theories, their own predictions. Letty didn't believe a single one of them. Pixelated camera quality and a shootout gone wrong was no reason to carry a knife to school or keep yourself hidden behind locked doors. Still, she could not deny the whispers frightened her. And the boy in the hospital bed did nothing to ease her anxiety.

Letty's criminal history ensured that her weekly visits to the local hospital were completed to a satisfactory degree. Babysitting a boy with a drug problem was not considered high on her list of enjoyment yet he fascinated her. He spoke of blood and death, a world he was terrified he had conjured in his mind.