CH 10: Painful Memories

Kosuke momentarily floated in a void where time and space held no sway, swallowed by an expanse of absolute nothingness that seemed to stretch without end.

Just when he thought he might be caught in this void forever, the all-consuming darkness dissipated, and he started to freefall. Suddenly, a blinding light pierced the void, and he felt himself hit solid ground.

Rising, he brushed off the dust and surveyed his new environment, "Interesting, they placed me at the Landslide Zone." he murmured curiously.

He turned, looking to the other zones across the USJ, "Scattering us, are they? They must be aiming to isolate and exploit our quirks." Kosuke's eyes narrowed as he and starting back, "But if that's their goal, why place me here? Is there something about me or this area that aligns with their strategy? The flood zone would seem a more obvious choice to limit me..." A realization sparked in his eyes, "Wait a moment. It may be that my earlier theory had some credence. Perhaps they don't fully understand our quirks?" He quietly wonders. "If so, that's a bit of good news. We can use their lack of information to our advantage and—!"

A sudden, thunderous explosion shattered his contemplation. Instinctively, Kosuke dodged an object grazing past where he'd just stood.

Kosuke exhaled sharply, "That was way too close... that almost got me," he muttered, scanning the area for the source of the attack.

A group of figures emerged from the shadows, with a colossal man berating another, "I told you to aim more left, idiot!" His voice boomed.

Annoyed by the reprimand, the taller man retorted with a pained huff, "Cut me some slack, will ya! I messed up my shoulder sleeping funny this morning!" He grimaced, rolling his arm around.

"Enough with the shoulder already! You've been whining about it all day!" he barked back, his voice laced with exasperation and a touch of superiority. "Just stay out of my way! I've got this!" With a smug grin, he knelt and touched the ground. Kosuke watched, captivated yet cautious, as the man's skin transformed, texture and color shifting to mirror the ground's properties.

Standing, the transformed villain addressed Kosuke, his voice smug, "Nothing personal, kid, but we've got our orders to kill you." The threat was delivered with a chilling casualness as he readied himself to attack.

Kosuke's calm demeanor remained unshaken as he spoke, "That's an intriguing ability you have there..."

The larger man's features softened into a grin, his demeanor relaxing slightly, "Trying to butter me up, huh? Can't say I blame you considering who I—!"

Kosuke interrupted, his tone dripping with disdain, "...It's truly a shame, however, to see such potential squandered on someone so utterly beneath contempt." His words, precise and biting, were delivered with a chilling self-assurance.

The air thickened as the villains edged back, their eyes darting between him and their now seething companion, whose anger Kosuke had so deftly incited.

"Bad move, kid, you pissed him off good," one villain sneers.

"You're a goner, boy! No one talks to him like that and gets away with it!" Another laughed harshly.

A third villain, caught up in the spectacle, exclaims, "This is gonna be soooo good! The brat has absolutely NO idea who he's fucking with!"

Yet, Kosuke's demeanor didn't waver; if anything, his curiosity peaked. Lifting an eyebrow, he regarded them with a hint of bemusement. "Should I be familiar with this thug?"

"Oh, I'm much more than just a 'thug' punk!" the brute seethed. He popped his terraformed knuckles, his face contorting, "You're about to understand why everyone's getting back!" he growled, his form tense with anticipation. They call me..."