Chapter Thirty-Four: Sparks Fly

"RYKER, GET DRESSED!" Laavanya yelled as she walked in on him cooking food in the kitchen. "I will take care of the food. I've picked your outfit. The guests will be here any minute."

"Just a minute," he said as he threw chopped coriander into the pan. "Come here. Turn the stove to a lower flame once this turns into reddish brown. Got it?"

"It's already reddish brown."

"On a second thought..." He turned the stove and grabbed her face to kiss her forehead. "Don't touch anything. And you look great." He rushed out of the kitchen and dashed into the bedroom. Laavanya aimlessly looked around before picking a fork up. She stuck the pasta in her mouth and moaned gleefully at the taste. She was about to have some more when the doorbell rang.

She put the fork away and walked out of the kitchen at the same time Ryker came out, fully dressed. She eyed from top to bottom to back into eyes. She bit her lips, containing her nasty thoughts and turned back towards her door.

Laavanya looked at herself and then took a breath before opening the door. Julie lunged inside to give both of them a hug before standing back beside Neel.

"Thank you for inviting us," Neel said as she handed her a bottle of wine.

"Get in. Sydney will be here with her date in a minute too."

Ryker ushered Neel into the apartment and when Laavanya began to follow them, Julie tugged her arm and whispered, "Syd has a date?!"

"Yeah, I had the same reaction." Laavanya closed the door and walked with her to the kitchen. Ryker and Neel had already begun to talk about something related to where they grew up while Laavanya and Julie discussed Sydney and her mystery date while arranging the plate.

The doorbell rang again and when they opened the door, Sydney stood there with her arm hooked around a man whose face looked very familiar. He was a tall man with a muscular figure. With dark green eyes and a barely visible smile, anyone could mistake him as a model.

"Ryker, Laavanya..." Sydney said with a nervous smile. "This is Callahan Sinclair."

"I feel like I have heard that name before," Ryker said. "Sinclair as in Sinclair Productions?"

"That's right. That's my company." Callahan extended his hand to shake it with Ryker's. They exchanged quick pleasantries and walked inside. Laavanya teasingly eyed Callahan when he wasn't looking and winked at Sydney.

Nice score, she mouthed to her.

Laavanya brought the food to the table along with Ryker and Julie. She served each of them the starters and sat on the chair between Ryker and Neel and in front of them sat Callahan and Sydney. Sydney refused to look at Callahan and looked flushed. Her breath hitched when they both reached for the spoon and their fingers touched.

Both Ryker and Laavanya exchanged a knowing glance.

"So, Sydney—" Julie asked, cutting the silence. "How did you and Callahan meet?"

"He, um..." Sydney paused and looked at him. Callahan visibly gulped the food down his throat and answered for her instead, "I was at her gig on Friday. We met backstage after her performance."

"That's sweet. And what's it like dating a CEO of one of the biggest companies?" Julie was teasing Sydney and she didn't even attempt to hide it.

"It has its pros and cons." Sydney abruptly snapped her neck towards Laavanya and Ryker. "The food is amazing. Thank you so much but you really didn't have to throw this dinner for me. I was just doing my job."

"You did an excellent job." Ryker smiled. "We just wanted to thank you for it. Speaking of which, I talked to my friend. He wants to be anonymous but he will be present at one of your next shows. Text me your gigs later."