01 | smoke sprite.

As the night sky was aglow with bright city lights and an even brighter moon, a lonely soul strutted through the streets of her city, late at night. As Miyawaki Ayaka walked in the bustling city of Tokyo, she couldn't feel but get an odd feeling - like she was being followed. Still, she ignored this presentment, knowing just how easy it was for her to scare herself into a panic attack.

Instead, she simply decided to go through busier places, just to put her mind at ease. And, as she did that, she reminisced about her bad day at work, still sour about her manager making her leave work so late. Well, she did struggle to finish that report, so it was justified in part, but 11pm? When he knew just how scared of walking around alone at night she was - she knew the higher ups didn't like her a lot, but this was just ridiculous.

''Ugh, I can't wait to be done with today's meeting'', an exhausted employee said while stretching out on their office chair, their limbs cracking with even the slightest movement. ''and curse Tsukino for sourcing off his own work to me, just because this old man's too lazy to do what he's getting paid for doesn't mean he can just... ooh, i'm getting pissed again'', that same voice rambled angrily, their frustration with their manager barely even hidden.

''whatever, I'll go get myself a coffee...'', Miyawaki Ayaka sighed as she got up from her seat, before straightening out her pencil skirt, remembering all the times her seniors had sent her disapproving glances because of her disheveled appearance after a few hours of work.

As she made her way to the coffee machine, a few of her coworkers greeted her with smiles on their faces, glad to see she hadn't fallen asleep on the job today - though she simply assumed they were particularly happy to see her on a random tuesday.

Right before Ayaka could get around to making her well deserved coffee, though, she heard an irritating, grating voice behind her back - and its owner clearing its throat.

''Hello, Miyawaki'', the voice said, dripping with fake sympathy. ''I see you're awake today. That's great, because you're gonna be working a lot more than usual tonight, so I'm glad you aren't too tired'', Manager Tsukino laughed heartily, as if his joke was funny - when it really wasn't. In fact, Ayaka was fighting her strongest demons not to kill this old man on the spot - but the pay here was too good to risk it.

''See, I have a report to turn in by 12 pm, but I haven't gotten started on it yet... I think you know where this is going, so I'll let you get to it'', the man sneered, leaning against the wall right next to the coffee machine.

''By 12 pm?'', Ayaka asked, flabbergasted - what kind of deadline was that? ''...Actually, I'm afraid I have plans for tonight... erm, this semi-underground idol group, B-Komachi... they're having a concert tonight, so... I might not be able to cover for you today, Sir... My apologies!'' Ayaka blurted out before bowing deeply, hoping her display of sincere regret would be enough to convince Tsukino to let her off the hook, just this once - he had to, right? She'd been fulfilling his tyrannical requests for a while now, surely he'd be kind enough to leave her alone just this once...

''Oh, I don't quite think you understand, Miyawaki - I will fire you if this report isn't done by 12 pm. Now, if you want to attend that concert - Bitch-Kommachin, was it? - you might go ahead and just leave with your stuff as well. Am I understood?'', the man's snarky smile fell, only to reveal an entirely serious face - and eyes that said that whatever he said, he would do.

...

Ayaka's eyes widened, as her heart rate suddenly sped up as well. Fire her? Tsukino had never threatened her like that in the past - not even in his worst moments. Just how important was that report, the 25 years old wondered. She gulped and drew a long breath, trying her best to remain calm - he would not get to her, not today. If she started working on the report right now, she could still make it - but even that would be over if they had a screaming match right in front of the coffee machine.