chapter two

𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕨𝕠
𝒶𝓃𝒶𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓈𝒾𝒶

my head rose softly as the clinking sound from last night appeared again, heavy footsteps following each one. i squinted my eyes in the dark to get a view of the man.

"ready to talk?" he asked, his voice revealing he was just beyond the barrier of light.

"if i must." i muttered.

"yes, you must." he mocked, pulling up a chair and sitting with me in the light, awaiting my story.

• ❃ •

sneaking out of the little palace was easier than i expected it to be. somehow, i had hitched rides from that rich prison and was finally at the last town before the fold.

how i would get across, i still hadn't thought through. but i'd made it, and that's what counts...right?

"hey, are you on our ship?"

the question came from a boy to my left. i hadn't even noticed him there, but he had obviously noticed me. my brows furrowed at his question. then, the idea clicked into my head.

"y-yes! yes, i'm with you lot." i said, glancing towards the land-boat.

"after you, m'lady." he said, bowing and gesturing towards the ports.

i boarded the skiff, glancing behind me as the boy was joined by a girl, both looking around my age. "hello." i said to the two. "i'm ana...belle." i said, not wanting to give out my name, since it was most likely to be all over ravka at this point; the first grisha to escape from the little palace.

"annabelle?" the boy asked. i nodded. "well, i'm alexi, and this is alina."

"nice to meet you." the girl smiled.

"nice to meet you, too." i nodded. we took our spots on the skiff, clinging onto the railing, as it took off, the squallers placing wind in the sails and setting us on our journey.

as we ventured into the fold, the darkness started to coat us like a blanket. fear flooded through me as the black washed over me, practically making my entire body shake with anxiety.

why did you do this, i asked myself. what's wrong with you?

• ❃ •

"go on." he said, placing his chin on the back of his hands that were positioned at the top of his cane.

i stayed quiet, staring at the ground below me.

"did you not hear me?" he asked, but i gave no reaction. "i said, go on." he said, his voice harsh and stern.

"i don't remember." i mumbled softly.

"what?" the stern tone was still lacing his voice, but it wasn't quite as intimidating.

"i don't remember." i said again, this time slightly louder. i guess he heard me, since he stayed quiet, shifting in his seat.

we sat in silence for so long, i was wondering if it was supposed to be my turn to speak. maybe he's trying to punk me out. maybe he's trying to get me to continue anyway, i thought to myself.

just when i was about to repeat the three words i'd said earlier, in case he hadn't heard me, he cleared his throat before speaking. "how old are you?" he asked.

my head shot up, allowing me to stare into his eyes. the question caught me so off guard, both because of the sudden shatter of silence, and because of the randomness of it, that it took nearly a few minutes before i'd registered what he'd actually said.

"uhm, sixteen." i said. he hummed, a nod setting his head into motion. "wha- what about you?"

are you kidding me? what business do you have asking your kidnapper how old he is. just play along with his games and get out.

"seventeen." he said. i blinked as i stared at him. his expression seemed conflicted. "what's your name?" as soon as the words left his lips, a flash of regret appeared on his face.

my brows furrowed. "ana..." i said, staring at the ground. i didn't want to lie to him, but i knew that the moment i was out of os alta, i had to assume a new identity entirely. "...belle." i added regretfully.

"no." he said. "you're lying."

"no i'm not." i said, my face filling with a stubborn expression. he only stared at me, attempting to intimidate me into saying the truth. "that's what i go by here. it's my name."

"in ravka...?" he trailed off.

"anastasia." i said with defeat.

"that was easy."

"well what's your name then?"

"kaz brekker."

762 words
this is also short, but there will be long ones i'm sure so it evens out ig.