<twelve>

we walked trough the halls with flashlights and our guns, scanning around for anything weird or signs pointing to what we were looking for.

as we approached the boiler room, carl stopped, staring at the door and remembering the traumatic events of last time we went in there.

while he was stuck in his head, i heard the groans of a walker right behind me. quickly, i whipped around, shooting the thing between the eyes. carl jumped at the sound, even if the silencer made it faint. i shrugged at him 'told you i knew how to use a gun.'

he chucked, 'i guess you did.'

we heard the scream again and followed the sound further.

we found a room with 5 people fighting off walkers. well, 3 fought while one of them was cradling another on the floor as she screamed and cried. from behind them, we shot at a few, helping them out.

they turned, blankly staring at the two of us. 'come on!' carl shouted, trying to get them to follow us back to the cells.

'hurry!' i screamed when they stayed stationary, still staring.

two fell to the floor as we ran away. the walkers followed closely behind. one hit them with her shovel as carl and i shot at them and someone else picked up the girl on the floor.

'you have to leave her!' carl shouted out to them.

'they're not just going to leave her. if it was going to save you're own ass would you just leave me in a hallway filled with walker?'

he stayed silent, i didn't know if that meant he realised i was right or if he didn't want to hurt my feelings by saying that he would, but i didn't have time to think about that, i just needed to get these people out of the tombs and to safety.

we got them out safely, well, nearly safely. they laid the girl on the floor, one of the men crying over her 'donna? is she dead?' she stayed there, eyes open , not breathing or moving.

'i'll take care of it.' carl held the gun to the womans head.

before he shot, someone stopped him 'woah. woah kid, wait a minute.'

'she doesn't have that long.' carl argued back, somewhat heartlessly.

'who the hell are you two?' the remaining woman stepped forward 'how did you get in here? who are you with?'

'look,' i responded 'we can help you, but first things first.' i looked to carl.

he was stopped again 'no, we take care of our own.' the man pulled out a hammer from another guys hands.

'no, tyreese.' the other man on the floor stopped him.

'i got to do it.' he argued. 'just take ben and lean against the wall.'

he put an unfolded bandana over her face before pulling the other guy against the wall, blocking his vision as Tyreese was about to hit her head, making sure she wouldn't come back. but he stopped when he heard the door close and keys jiggle in the lock as carl and i locked them away from us.

'what are you going?' the woman asked.

'kid.' Tyreese looked at carl 'did you just lock us in here?'

'open the door.' the woman demanded.

'the room is secure, you'll be safe.' he says, refusing to let them out. 'you have food and water.'

'open this door.' she grabbed the bars.

'we can't i shook my head, feeling bad for locking them in there.

'come on, we're not animals, don't do this.' she begged. 'hey!' she screamed, hitting the door and making it rattle. 'you can't just leave us in here! open this door! open it! now!'

'sasha.' tyreese pulled her away. 'back away fro the door and let the man go.' they stepped away 'look around you. this is the best we've had in weeks. his house. we got other things to do.'

as they walked away, beth asked 'shouldn't we help them?'

'we did.' I shrugged.

i was helping axel with the food while hershel patched up any wounds that the new people needed help tending to. carl stood in the corner near the door. beth came in to make up a bottle for Judith. when sasha laid eyes on her, she asked 'how old is the baby?'

'barely a week.' hershel answered.

she walked closer to beth and Judith 'to be honest, we never thought we'd see another baby. beautiful.'

'thanks.' beth politely smiled.

'how are you feeling?' sasha questioned her.

'she's not mine.' beth shook her head.

sasha turned to the rest of us 'where's the mother?'

we all awkwardly stayed silent, indicating that she was dead. she picked up on this 'i'm sorry.'

as beth went back to the cells, carl and i sat at the side. we were going to listen into the other conversation but carl asked me 'are you okay?'

'yeah, i'm fine.'

'you're not.' he sighed 'please tell me what's wrong.'

'earlier you didn't answer my question. full truth, i'm scared you didn't because you didn't want to say the answer i didn't want to hear but you also didn't want to lie.'

'what question again?'

'earlier, i asked you if you would leave me behind with a hoard of walkers to save yourself. if you told them to leave their friend behind to save themselves, it made me feel like you'd do the same to me. or any of us for that matter.' i explained.

he shook his head 'i'm sorry, i would never do that to you. i wouldn't do that to any of the group, but especially not you...i care about you too much.'

i smiled. we followed quickly as hershel left, going into our cell. i continued our conversation 'first you kiss me, now you care about me too much to leave me. you're so sweet.' i giggled. i pulled him into a hug, my arms wrapped around his neck, his going around my waist.

'you happy for your dad to be back soon?' i asked.

he looked at me confused 'we already said, we don't know if he is.'

'and i already said, i have amazing intuition. he is, i promise.'

carol popped her head in 'hey love birds.' she giggled 'our watch shift carl, come on.'

'can i come, i'm getting pretty good with a gun.' i tagged along, sticking to carols side during watch shift, looking over and smiling at carl every now and again.