Chapter 32: Many Returns

Instinctively, Miriam crouched low, heedless of her custom crafted gown. At the rear of the chamber, only one of the two male figures followed suit before breaking into a run toward her. Most of the crowd, whether from confusion or shock, froze in place as silence fell over the hall. The walls shuddered as heavy thuds vibrated the rafters high overhead. Just as Jonatham bounded up the steps to reach her side, five black-scaled heads appeared at separate windows, their matching grim expressions turning her blood to ice.

Before Jonatham pulled her into his chest, shielding her from the room, Miriam noticed Requiro striding toward them, his pace determined but unhurried. Why isn't your father concerned?

His I don't know did nothing to settle her nerves, and she squirmed in his hold until she could survey the hall again over his shoulder. The dragons watched Requiro's progress toward the dais, heads swiveling to match his advancing position. Otherwise, they moved little, neither pushing closer nor retreating from their places. As she studied them, an odd wave of familiarity swelled over her.

But the dragons who attacked us were supposed to be executed after they confessed everything to Requiro. In all our discussions with the council and Requiro himself, there was never a hint that anything else happened besides what was expected by law.

Jonatham added, He also never actually confirmed their fate, come to think of it. I believe his answer to the council went something like, "I fulfilled my duties to the creatures and the kingdom." Everyone assumed he meant–

Miriam interrupted, Do you know the Earth saying about what happens when you assume? At his flood of confusion, she added, When you assume, you make an–

"Prince and Princess, citizens and honored guests, hear my words and be calm!"

Requiro's commanding voice cut through the murmurs of the crowd with ease from his stationary position at the midway point of the long aisle. Every set of eyes joined the dragons and focused on the retiring king. Jon pivoted on the balls of his feet a quarter turn so he could see his father, but Miriam noted that he maintained his low position and his tight grip on her body.

Until I can be sure you are safe, I will remain prepared to protect you, Mir. And at the moment, I am afraid my father's surprise may bite him, or us.

Her body wrapped in his warm embrace and her mind comforted by the soothing press of his concern, Miriam focused her attention on Requiro, who had begun to address the now silent gathering.

"My people! This day our kingdom overflows with blessings! We celebrate the beginning of a new era, one in which the authority to rule is shared between a king and his soulmate for the first time. We also welcome our first Earth-born queen, long may she reign!"

Here he paused to allow the expected and enthusiastic cheers to crest and retreat before continuing, "We share together the joy of the king finding his soulmate amid great trouble, and we rejoice that our fair land is restored to its famous beauty, free of the evil that shrouded it in shadow."

The happy shouts from thousands of mouths thundered louder than before, battering Miriam's eardrums so she feared developing hearing damage. The din went on and on until one of the dragons unleashed a piercing screech, reminding the entire assembly of the fearsome beasts observing the proceedings, and the great hall fell quiet again.

Requiro boomed, "On this day of blessings, another unprecedented event is taking place. When the coronation ceremony is complete, I will ask the new king and queen to grant me a sending ceremony, along with my five allies you see here."

He gestured to the dragons, who nodded in return. "These beasts have sworn an unbreakable vow of loyalty to me in return for their lives. When we locate the traitors, I will give the dragons a chance to exact their own revenge on the renegades. They too were betrayed, convinced by falsehoods that their target was an impersonator and his accomplice, rather than the crown prince himself and his soulmate. Should our endeavor be successful, I have promised them an unqualified pardon."