5

Clara had visited Hogwarts many times since she had graduated. Usually to see Dumbledore, who often commissioned her to make new portraits for the school. This time, she wasn't sure what to expect. With the latest news of Sirius escaping, she could only assume the worst.

She packed her satchel with a sketchbook and some art supplies, just in case it was a business meeting, before tucking a box of lemon shortbread on top. She had baked them when she came home and was sure the headmaster would enjoy some. Then, nervously, she apparated to Hogsmeade. She would have to walk into the school, which was about a twenty-minute walk, but she didn't mind, the weather was pleasant, and it wasn't often she could enjoy the peace of the countryside.

As she walked the familiar path, she was plagued with memories. Walking the same road with friends, most of whom were now dead. Clara tried to focus on the good, the happy times, where they laughed and joked with one another, but the constant reminder that she was alone, made it hard to focus.

When the castle came into view, she had to pause, as the emotion overwhelmed her. Hogwarts would always be like a home to her, she was lucky she got to visit so frequently.

Clara was met by Professor McGonagall at the school gate. She hid her surprise with a polite greeting.

"Hello dear," McGonagall smiled, it was kind and gentle, she had grown quite fond of her old student, "Albus asked me to collect you, I hope you don't mind."

"Mind? Professor, I'm delighted to see you." She said truthfully.

The duo walked slowly, discussing small pleasantries, and before she knew it, Clara stood before the great griffin statue.

"I'll see you soon, my dear." McGonagall placed a hand on her shoulder, a knowing glint in her eye, then she turned to the statue, whispering the password, before leaving Clara alone.

Dumbledore greeted her enthusiastically, but Clara knew it was all pretence. There was a weight in the air, and his name was Sirius Black.

"Professor," she spoke, with as much conviction as she could manage, "May I ask," she coughed, "Why did you ask to see me today?"

Albus gave her his infamous look, one that contained an infinite amount of wisdom, and he smiled. It was supposed to be comforting, but she couldn't help but feel terrified.

"You're here for more than one reason, my friend."

"Is it about..." she suddenly felt unable to say his name, as if the wizard would judge her.

"Sirius Black," he hummed, "Yes, I did wish to discuss that with you. But that is not the true reason you're at Hogwarts today."

Frowning, she asked, "Then what is, sir?"

"I have a proposition for you," he stands, ushering her to do the same, "If you'll follow me."

The two walked through the school in silence, the only noise coming from paintings, a few of whom greeted their artist eagerly. The path became increasingly familiar as they continued, until finally, they were on the fifth floor.

"Sir, why are we here?" she asked, as they stopped walking. The door between them was closed, but she didn't need it to be open, to know what it contained.

Without a word, Dumbledore gestured for her to open it, and with a sigh, she did. Dumbledore was a confusing man, but for the time being, she would follow his whims.