Sulking Engines

Henry sat in the shed getting to steam, embracing the little hours he has for rest. He had been doing long hard work with James, often lasting long into the night with them both returning to their shed exhausted. Henry was aggravated, "Long trains . . . Then long trains after, it's such a nuisance; especially with that red worm who always bickers." James had just woken up next to him, having not heard a word. "Oh, speaking of the devil. . . " James' fireman was shoveling coal into his firebox. "It's time already? I need more sleep for myself; I deserve it for all my hard work." Said James to his fireman. His fireman, just simply trying to shut him up said, "Shush you. You need to work so we all can get this bridge back; then maybe you can get something for it. Does that sound nice?" "Get something for it? All I've been getting is rock down my funnel and less sleep! I want a different fireman, this one says too much." His fireman huffed and Henry gave a side eye to James intensely, "You can't get a new fireman because everyone is taken. . . You should know that, fool." "And, what else? What do I need from him anyway? I can start my fire myself!" 
James was foolish since obviously engines can't start their own fires but he tried. All he did was create a draft in his firebox and hindered it. His fireman panicked and quickly started to shovel to support the fire. "My fire! My lovely warm fire!" James cried but all Henry could do was laugh at him as he rolled out of his perch, now at full steam.

"How dare he laugh at me, how dare he." James said as he biffed some trucks in the yard. "Ow! Ow! Watch it you! We like not being in pieces." "Quiet! Or I'll put you into my fire." He snorted. The trucks could only respond with a gasp in disgust. "What's gone down your funnel?" Asked his driver. "Nothing!" "Such a fussy engine. What will pay you back?" "Nothing will, nobody could possibly have the boiler to." "Sure, you say that now. Let's finish our shunting so you can boast more later." 
James sat speechless as the trucks laughed. His driver made sure he didn't lash out and biff the trucks again; slowly pushing the trucks into place. 

James had forgotten about being laughed at when he came to couple up behind Henry for the late supply train.  It had started to softly snow and the weather caused James to sit impatiently, thinking of a cozy shed to sleep in. "Uuuugh. . . More weather, what an annoyance. Soon it'll be harder for me to take this train and I'll be cold now!" Henry just sat there trying to ignore James; Henry and even James' crew had enough of his constant whining. The green engine sat thinking and even when the two engines moved, "Maybe. . . Maybe it could work. . . " He muttered to himself. 
The trucks were being quite restless today due to the reckless biffing from James; Henry often told himself that he pulled the main load of the train and he's starting to think he was right. Both engines pulled the train roughly to get it up Old Gordon's hill, the trucks applying their brakes trying to halt them but they pressed on. Finally they got over and panted while going down the rest of the line. "Try harder!" Demanded Henry out of breath. "I am! I am! Shush it, you green snake!" Henry tried to retort but before he knew it they arrived at the bridge construction site.
As their train was being unloaded Henry whispered to the red engine, "James." "Yes, what is it?" "You know, I have a plan for us both to get a break. All you have to do is be quiet for now and listen when we get back to the shed." James' eyes widened. "Finally I can get sleep for myself, I'll look better than ever." He beamed. "That should shut him up for a while. . . " Henry said to himself.

Once the two engines got to the enclosed shed, their crews left for the night. They sat together and James got excited, "So what's your genius plan Henry? Tell me already! I'm tired of this all." "Hush up! For this plan to work, let me do the talking and be quiet until I say so in the morning." Henry paused and reminisced about their strike in the past. "And don't let Topham get to you, last time Gordon's plan had holes. That Fat Controller has no other choice this time; we are crucial, he has no time to punish us and leave us in sheds right now. Do you understand?" "Yes." "Good. Now let's sleep and wait for morning, then we act." The two engines gave grins to each other devilishly before falling asleep.