Chapter 3 - Would You Stay Here With Me?

Beatrice's apartment was a small loft that, despite being small, was quite cozy. Bea didn't spend much time there anyway. Every moment she was alone, thoughts of her flew irretrievably to Ava, wherever she was. And those thoughts hurt a lot, so she avoided giving space to idle moments. She usually came home just to shower and sleep, many times practically passing out from exhaustion.

"Sorry if anything is out of place... it's small here and I'm not home much."

"Bea, don't worry that much... everything's perfect. Like everything you do, by the way. I couldn't be in a better and more cozy place than this."

"I'll make you something to eat and then I'll make your bed. You can take a shower to help you relax, if you want... you look really tired. I'll put some clothes on for you to be comfortable."

Ava couldn't be more grateful. She felt cared for, protected... loved. She approached Beatrice and kissed her on the cheek a little longer than usual. She stood there so close to Beatrice that they could both feel each other's breath on their faces. Ava was itching to kiss those lips again after so many years (at least for her), but she didn't know if that would be awkward or uncomfortable for Bea. She just pulled back a few inches, looked into Beatrice's big and beautiful eyes, and headed for the shower.

Beatrice remembered that she should start breathing again. She leaned back against the kitchen counter and closed her eyes. How she wished Ava had kissed her again. But why didn't she take the initiative herself? Why was she waiting? "I'm such an idiot, I'm always late", she thought to herself. Sha was late to tell Ava that she loved her too, late to take the initiative by being inches from her pretty pink lips... but what could she do if Ava had the power to paralyze her and left her without even remembering how to breathe?

And speaking of stopping breathing, there was the shortness of breath again minutes later. Ava was coming out of the bathroom, still drying her hair on the towel, dressed only in Beatrice's baggy long-sleeved shirt. Ava's beautiful legs caught Beatrice's eye immediately. Ironies of fate aside, Bea thought that Ava might as well be a real angel straight from Heaven. She was so beautiful...

Beatrice took a deep breath and came to herself (forcibly), she sat down at the small table with Ava and shared a simple but very tasty dinner with her: pasta and some polpetines.

"I don't usually eat at home, I didn't have many options to offer you tonight, forgive me for that."

"It's wonderful, Bea. Really."

"At least I have wine to go with dinner."

"Who knew, Beatrice has wine at home? I only believe because I'm seeing it with my own eyes. If someone told me, I wouldn't believe it."

Beatrice laughed.

"Tiny sips, remember?"

"Yes... I remember everything about you, Bea." Ava was trying hard to make Beatrice red in the cheeks, or so Bea thought.

After dinner, Beatrice made the bed and opened out the couch, covering it with sheets, throws, and pillows. Ava smiled gratefully and walked over to the sofa while Bea was still finishing arranging it.

"Ava, you sleep in the bed today."

"No, there's no way I'm going to get you out of your bed, your comfort."

"Please, I insist. I want you to be as comfortable as possible, and the bed is softer than the couch. You know I don't care about that, convent beds have always been pretty spartan and it never bothered me."

"Bea, don't..."

"Ava, it's already decided. You will sleep in the bed."

Ava watched as Beatrice settled down and pulled the covers over her on the sofa. Beatrice again being Beatrice, decisive and in control of the situation. Ava smiled, defeated, and lay down on the bed, next to the sofa where Bea was lying.