nineteen; you can hear it in the silence

019;          YOU CAN HEAR IT IN THE SILENCE 

ONYX DIDN'T REMEMBER FINDING HER WAY TO THE SITTING ROOM AGAIN. 

All she could see was the rising waves in Kaz's eyes as he sprung away from her, as if she might harm him, as if he might contract something from her by simply being near to her person. All she could feel was the weight of his delicate touch against her neck, the barest of brushes, like a feather, a ghost of something that could've been but perhaps may never be. Onyx felt as though she was stuck in another sort of reality, where the moments post that bathroom were nonexistent and she was something ghost-like and ethereal, witnessing it all from the outside. 

It felt as though they'd been running around and around in circles, discussing the logistics of the auction, Inej's new crazed friend, and somehow, some way, further roping Jesper's father into the ornate plan Kaz conjured up. It seemed that was the one facet everyone was really waiting to hear about--  how Kaz would make a profit out of Colm Fahey staying at the Geldrenner, in its most luxurious suite, no less. It wasn't surprising, not really. Not even to Mister Fahey who, in his own words, might as well abet, considering he was already thoroughly aiding them. 

"This is insanity," Jesper murmured, rubbing a hand over the back of his neck. He paced the length of the windows, back and forth, back and forth, a worried line creased between his furrowed eyebrows. "They'll never fall for it." 

"We don't ask for too much from any of them," Kaz said. "That's the trick. We set a low floor to enter the fund, say, two million kruge. And then we let them wait. The Shu are here. The Fjerdans. The Ravkans. The Council will start to panic. If I had to bet, I'd say we'll have five million from each Council member by the time we're through." 

"There are thirteen Council members," Jesper replied. "That's sixty-five million kruge." 

"Maybe more." 

"Even with all of the stadwatch at the auction and the presence of the Council of Tides, can we really guarantee Kuwei's safety?" Matthias asked, frowning. 

"Unless you have a unicorn for him to ride away on, there is no scenario that guarantees Kuwei's safety." 

"I wouldn't count on protection from the Council of Tides either," Nina chimed in, crossing her arms. "Have they ever even appeared in public?" 

"Twenty-five years ago," Onyx scoffed. She flipped slender knife between her fingers, toying absentmindedly with it. "They dry-docked those warships, so at least we know they're not dead." 

"And you think they're going to show up to protect Kuwei now?" Nina asked Kaz incredulously. "We can't send him into public auction alone." 

"Kuwei won't be alone. Matthias, Onyx, and I will be with him." 

"Everyone there knows your faces. Even if you had some kind of disguise--" 

"No disguise. The Merchant Council are considered his representatives. But Kuwei has the right to choose his own protection for the auction," Kaz responded, half shrugging a shoulder. "We'll be up there on the stage with him." 

"The stage?"

"Auctions are held at the Church of Barter, right in front of the altar. What could be more holy? It's perfect-- an enclosed space with multiple points of entry and easy access to the canal."