‟ STRAY DOG „

˗ˏˋ 'ˎ˗

Tate pushed open her office door, knowing she had to get at least some work done at her desk before she could find an excuse to go down to the locker rooms. 

She had arrived later than usual, as Jamie hadn't shown up at his typical time, and she had been forced to race to the bus stop. She regretted being so stubborn on giving him her phone number, wanting to text him and ask if everything was alright, but she figured she would talk to him in person later. 

There was still an hour before training started. Ted had pulled her aside after they lit the bin on fire, saying that because of Jamie's breakthrough, she didn't have to go to training if she didn't want to. But she did, and she would, because those were her boys— 

Tate froze, staring at the little green army man placed carefully atop her desk, a note attached. 

In case anyone else you don't want comes to visit. - Ted. 

Her heart swelled at the sight, at the thoughtfulness put into the gesture by the coach. Any doubts she had about sharing her story the night before melted away, and Tate knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Rebecca had made a good choice in hiring him. He cared for not only the players on the team, but anyone he came into contact with.

New Message from Sam Obisanya: 

Are you alright? 

Tate's brows knitted together in confusion; why wouldn't she be alright? She had spoken to him privately about what she had confessed, and had assured him that everything was fine. But, maybe he hadn't been totally convinced. 

Message Sent to Sam Obisanya: 

Stop worrying about me so much Sammy. 

Setting her phone aside, Tate logged into her computer and pulled up her email. Updated meeting schedules, edited photos of players to post throughout the remainder of the season, links to YouTube videos Ted found funny. It was the seventh email she scrolled through that made her pause, made her heart skip a beat and stall at the same time. 

Subject: Jamie Tartt Returned. 

Please announce on all socials immediately that Jamie Tartt has been returned to Man City FC, per contract loan. 

She skimmed through the remainder of the email, heartbeat hammering in her chest, briefly reading the details about when and how the contract had been returned. A dull and unwanted ache began in her chest, and Tate knew the feeling was sadness. 

Since when had she grown attached enough to Jamie fucking Tartt that she felt his departure like a physical blow? What did that mean? 

On her third time rereading the email, her mind finally snagged on the wording. He was returned, not recalled. Someone had sent him back, someone on Richmond's end. 

Her phone vibrated from its spot on her desk, next to the little army man, returning her racing thoughts to the physical body that contained them. 

New Message from Sam Obisanya: 

I just thought I would check in. I know you somehow became sort of friends with Jamie. Roy says you're "fucking insane" for that, by the way, and I have to agree. 

Tate didn't respond, and instead sat frozen in her chair for a moment, her bottom lip trapped between her teeth. God, she really needed to kick that habit, but she always fell back to it whenever she grew stressed. 

Returned, not recalled. 

Grabbing her phone, Tate rushed to her feet and slipped from her office, knowing that when she returned she would have to bite the bullet and post about Jamie leaving the team—but she needed answers first.

The trek to the locker room, so well traveled, melted into a blur as Tate thought about all the implications Jamie's departure would mean. He was fucking good, and though Dani was an ace, she had been able to breathe easier with two aces as they approached relegation. The fans would riot, similar to the way they had when Ted had pulled him from their last match. 

Hell, she was ready to riot at his contract being returned

"The fuck?" Tate exclaimed, storming into the locker room. Her brows her knitted together in frustration, her mouth painted in a frown. She scanned the faces looking back at her, finding Ted in his office. Ignoring Sam calling her name, Tate went into the coach's office and shut the door behind her. 

"Now, Tater Tot—"

"Was it you or Rebecca?" Tate asked, her arms crossed over her chest. Anger and—and protectiveness flooded through her, picking up her heartbeat and forcing her into a confrontation she didn't really want to be a part of. "Which one of you sent Jamie back to Man City?"

"Heck, I don't want him to go just as much as you probably don't. I'm still seein' red. But the boss did what she thought she had to do." Ted began, standing from his chair. She started to pace, unable to keep still as she thought about how Jamie had confessed something deeply personal, and how he was sent away from the team he had finally connected with. 

"That's..." Tate sighed, scrubbing her hands over her face as if she could wake herself up the nightmare she found herself in. "It's a bad call from all sides. On the pitch, in the locker room, the fucking fans." 

"And I agree with you whole heartedly." Ted nodded. If Tate hadn't been able to read the barely concealed frustration simmering under his surface, she would have been annoyed at how accepting he was about Jamie being returned. 

The coach truly was just as upset about it as her. 

With a groan, Tate opened the office door and sulked back into the locker room, already feeling guilty about the attitude she had taken with Ted. 

"I thought you said you were alright?" Sam asked, watching her carefully. Tate dropped onto the bench beside him. 

"I am." She huffed, borderline pouting. "I was just... caught off guard this morning." 

"I am very sorry that you feel that way, mi amiga." Dani Rojas called from his stall a few spots down. Tate gave him a grateful smile for his honest, kind words, though they weren't enough to pull her fully from her swirling thoughts. 

"I'm not." Roy's gruff voice spoke up. 

"Thanks, Uncle Roy." Tate rolled her eyes, summoning the will to stand and return to her office. She couldn't put off making the announcement any longer, especially if she wanted to avoid the churning rumor mill—fueled mostly by The Sun. 

"He was like a stray dog, following you around after you fed him once." Roy commented, his disdain for Jamie shining clear in his tone. Tate frowned, her glare directed at the captain holding not true heat. 

"Yeah, but he was my stray dog."