-Seventeen-

September 13th, 1944

"Right that's it, I can't hold it in any longer. I need to tell you something, Gene," Evelyn slammed down the bedpan she was cleaning, cringing slightly when it clanked loudly on the sink. "In fact no, I have to tell you before my head completely explodes out of my skull."

Eugene looked up from the paperwork he was filling, wondering what on earth had gotten Evelyn so riled up this time. Not that it usually took a lot. In fact, more often than not it was something tiny and insignificant that would have her wound up like a clock. She was far too emotional for her own good.

"So, you know how we went on that trip to London at the weekend?"

"Uh huh. The trip to London that I wasn't a part of?" Eugene pretended to look hurt.

"Yeah, that trip," Evelyn nodded impatiently. "And don't look at me like that Eugene Roe. You were invited, you know that. However you chose not to come because you didn't want to leave Vera, nor did you want to bring Vera because for some crazy reason you still want to keep her entire existence a secret from everybody."

"Alright, calm down," Eugene held his hands up and smirked. "I was only joking with you, but I think you must have left your sense of humour in London cos it sure isn't here."

"Sorry," she sighed, rubbing her hands over her face wearily and then grimacing when she realised she had just been cleaning out a filthy bed pan. Ugh gross.

"So, are you gonna tell me whatever it is that has you so stressed out?" Eugene asked. "Because I don't fancy cleaning up all the blood and brains when your head explodes, so you'd best do me a favour and get it out now."

"You think you're such a funny guy sometimes, don't you, Gene?" Evelyn glared at the smirk on his face and crossed her arms in frustration as she leaned her back against the sink. Then she sighed. Again. "Alright, here it is. When we went to London, something happened and it was something that left me ridiculously confused."

"That's not difficult," Eugene mumbled under his breath, but loud enough for her to hear. "Sorry, I'm listening. Go on."

Evelyn narrowed her eyes at him before continuing.

"Right, so we were outside the club, Lieb and I this is, and he, uh, he kissed me."

Definitely not something tiny and insignificant then, Eugene thought to himself.

"Ok," he answered after a short pause.

"Ok? Is that it? I just told you that me and Joseph Liebgott kissed in London and all you have to say about that is ok?" Evelyn exclaimed. "Christ Eugene, you showed more of a reaction last week when I told you I'd just eaten a bacon sandwich for my lunch."

"Now who's being funny?" Eugene raised an eyebrow. "I don't really know what you want me to say, Ev. If I'm being honest with you, I would have expected you to be ecstatic telling me something like this but instead you look like you're ready to either cry or stab someone. Do you see why I might be unsure of what to say?" He reached out and put a hand reassuringly on her arm. "Listen, why don't we go and have our break now? Vera made me lunch this morning and if I know my wife there'll be enough there to feed the whole company. We can eat, which always makes you feel better, and then we can talk properly about what's got you all confused about the situation, yeah?"

"Ok," Evelyn agreed, following Eugene as he picked up his satchel and led them out of the front door, where there was a bench right outside the building.

"So, this kiss," Eugene said, handing her a huge sandwich stuffed full of cheese and pickles. She smiled gratefully and took a huge bite. "Was it, uh...? Who kissed... uh...?"