-Twenty Five-

Evelyn walked leisurely down the stairs as the faint strains of Christmas music floated up from the living room. It was late in the evening and as Evelyn entered the living room, she smiled upon seeing her Nonna fast asleep on the couch, a sherry clasped tightly in her hand still. Her weathered face was full of wrinkles from a hard working life as a single mother to three small children, after her husband had died young leaving her to provide for the family alone. Unlike most other women her age, Nonna was extremely proud of her wrinkles. Unlike most other women her age, she didn't ever try to cover them. She had always told her grandchildren that every single line on her face told a story. The lines around her eyes were from happy times and those around her mouth were from sadder times. But each one was just as important as the other, and instead of fearing them, they should be embraced and worn as a mark of pride and remembrance of every moment of a life lived to the full.

"Every year she does this."

Evelyn glanced behind her to see her brother, Henry walking through the living room door with a plate of food in his hand. Her eyes lit up as she snatched a crisp roast potato from the plate and shoved it into her mouth. Christmas leftovers were honestly tastier than the Christmas dinner itself. Not that there was always much left over after the boys had eaten second and sometimes third helpings. Growing up with so many of them, there was usually just enough food to go around and fill them up, but extra helpings were rare. But at Christmas, their mother and father made sure that they had a feast fit for kings.

"And every year Pops tells Momma not to let her drink too much," Evelyn's full mouth made the words come out all muffled. "I would have liked to hear her make Pops tell his mom that when she was alive. From what little he's told me of her, she would have lamped him. Anyway, it's ridiculously quiet in here. Where is everyone? I know Bill's gone to Frannie's but what about the others?"

"They went out," Henry answered. "Gina and James went home, and Momma and Clara went to see Mrs Gomez next door. Her daughter, Lorena, has brought the new baby round to visit so they're clucking about like hens around it. Anyone would think it's the baby Jesus the way they're all carrying on. Momma even put in a little dig to Gina about not making her a grandmother yet. It didn't go down too well. Dad, Earnest, Jack and Joseph Jr have all gone to Sal's for a drink, which leaves me, you and Nonna."

Sal Anastasi was their father's best friend. The two of them had moved to America from Italy together. Sal's wife had passed away during the summer so his Christmas day had been spent with his children and grandchildren. But every few weeks, since the death of Sal's wife, her father and brothers would spend the evening with him. Usually when they returned in the early hours of the morning, they were all blind drunk much to Augusta Guarnere's dismay. Last month when they had gone round, Earnest had been so drunk that he had actually managed to trip over his own feet and cut his head open, as well as giving himself a black eye. Their mother had not been impressed. Well, once she had gotten over the initial panic that one of her beloved children had been hurt.

"Why didn't you go?" Evelyn asked, pinching another potato from Henry's plate and sitting down on the couch. She curled her legs underneath herself, enjoying the fact that her father wasn't here to berate her for having her feet up on the couch.

"Didn't feel like it," Henry shrugged, plonking himself down beside her. "Besides, someone's gotta take Nonna home in a little while. "

"Wise choice," Evelyn agreed.

As the Christmas music continued to play quietly in the background, the coal fire crackled and Evelyn leant her head on Henry's shoulder as she watched the peaceful flickering of the burning hot flames. Having such a big family was something that she loved. Having so many people around you who loved you almost constantly was such a nice, warm feeling. But sometimes, like in that very moment, a few moments of peace and quiet was wonderful. Especially with one of her older siblings. She didn't always feel that she got to spend as much time with them as she did with Bill. The others were a lot older and always doing their own things. It was lovely just to share some one on one time with the others, even just to ask about work or how their day had been.