Chap 2: free at last..

She continued falling, her screams turning hoarse. No one came to save her. 
She thought of her years of suffering, her  mother's harsh words replaying in her mind.
"Useless girl."  
"Good for nothing."          
"Should've jumped years ago."
Her brothers ignored her, wanting nothing to do with the so called "curse". 
She curled into a ball as the ground rushed towards her. 

*Thud* 
Pain shot through her body upon impact. Crimson blood pooled around her broken form. She couldn't move. Couldn't  speak. Darkness began to creep into her vision. Her thoughts drifted to what could have been. A life filled with love and happiness, far away from this misery. A single tear rolled down her cheek. Not of sadness,but of relief. It would finally end here. No more cruelty and pain. 

Her mother's hateful words faded, replaced by memories of her father's smiling face as he held her for the first and last time.
"I'm coming papa." She whispered.     
Darkness consumed her. The pain subsided, replaced by a sense of peace. 

She was free.    
That's how they found her, broken and bloodied at the foot of the school building. No note. No explanation. Just another tragic statistic.      

Her mother wept crocodile tears at the funeral, cursing her useless girl for forcing her into the spotlight. Her brothers said nothing. They barely remembered  her name. The students at school couldn't recall a single happy memory of her. She had always been invisible, a shadow in the background. The authorities declared it a suicide and closed the case. Another life wasted. Another story forgotten.    

The cycle continued, same as it had always been. The only difference was one less soul to endure it. They found her body broken at the foot of the school building, crumpled like a discarded doll. Blood pooled around her limp form, staining her worn uniform a deep crimson. 

The ambulance arrived, sirens blaring. Paramedics rushed to assess the damage but one look confirmed what they already knew - it was too late. Her spirit had already fled, leaving behind an empty shell. A police officer draped a sheet over the girl's corpse, shielding her from further violation. They noted the lack of identification, of personal effects, clues to who this tragic Jane Doe had been in life. All that remained were the tatters of a uniform and a lifeless body.

Word spread through the school like wildfire. Students and teachers alike gathered, gawking at the grim scene unfolding below. Some wept, overcome with shock and sorrow. Others simply stared, numb and disbelieving. But for most, it was simply another piece of gossip to spread, another story to tell. The girl's mother was contacted, identified the body through the uniform. She arrived stone-faced, answering the police's questions in clipped tones. When asked if she had any idea what drove her daughter to this, she merely shrugged. "She was always troubled." No tears fell.

The brothers heard the news with indifference. They mourned not the loss of her, but the disruption to their routine. Another burden lifted, another worry eased from their shoulders. The funeral was a sombre affair. Few attended. Flowers were scant. The headstone bore a name and two dates, nothing more. Within days, even those faded from memory.

Life continued as it always had. The cycle of misery ground on. And the forgotten girl's spirit found the peace in death that evaded her in life, free at last from the cruelties that hounded her since the moment she drew her first, fateful breath. How dark a thing it is, for one so young to find more comfort in death than in the life they left behind.