Prologue

"He did well, did he not?", Artemis spoke, coming up deside the Sea God where he stood watching his Son dance with The Daughter of Athena.

She had done well too. Very well, indeed. Artemis had even considered offering her a place in the hunt but her instincts had warned that the offer would not be accepted. At least, not yet. As she saw her spinning around the dance floor in the arms of Percy Jackson, she knew she had been right.

Artemis wasn't one for romance herself. To her, love was a fools conquest. But not to everybody. She had seen as many people being saved by love as she'd seen destroyed. She might be set in her ways but she wasn't obtuse. She found herself hoping for a split second that these two exceptional demigods would find each other.

And that brought her back to another exceptional demigod she had had the honour of meeting this winter.

Poseidon looked away from his son and to her with a slight smile. "He Indeed has. Although it is surprising that you would admit that."

Artemis smiled. "Zoe blessed you Son the Sword.", she offered up as explanation. "And I myself must admit that your children are brave." Artemis stopped, making sure they weren't being overheard. "Both of them", she then added.

Poseidon faced her fully, his eyes issuing a challenge he wouldn't speak. His love for his children was one thing about the god Artemis could appreciate.

"I do not wish to cause her harm", Artemis said, returning his stare. "Quite the contrary. She would be safe under my care. She wouldn't have to hide."

Poseidon shook his head. "She is too young to make that choice, Artemis."

"She is mature beyond her years", Artemis argued.

"She has suffered worse than any child her age should have to", Poseidon replied. "Mostly due to my negligence", he added, looking sad. "For that very reason, now it is my duty to make sure she finds happiness. And if she decides that is with you I will not stand in her way. But I will also not allow you to coax her into joining. It must be of her own free will."

Artemis nodded slightly. "Very well. I will approach her when the time is right", she agreed. "She will, however, always have a place with me. We would have all perished tonight without her help."

Panic took over the Sea God's face. Artemis laughed slightly. "Do not worry, Poseidon. She is no fool. She made sure she was not seen. Nobody is aware of her existence, or her interference. She spoke with me when I was first captured. She tried her best to get me out but that would not have been possible without somebody else taking the burden of the sky. That is the only reason I know."

Poseidon sighed. "She offered", he said. Not a question, but a statement.

"Told me to give her the burden and go get help", Artemis remembered with a smile. "I refused. So she promised to lead help to me. And she did."

Artemis saw the slightly bewildered look on Poseidon's face and smiled a savage smile. "Help comes in all forms, Poseidon. Even a mortal in a helicopter. She did good."

Now, Poseidon smiled. "Indeed. She did good."