Chapter 1. I'm Walking Alone on the Sand

CHAPTER 1 — I'm Walking Alone on the Sand

A drunken, insecure codependent mother who gave birth at 17 and her argumentative self-reliant daughter; Davina Silvers' family tree

The commitment of motherhood is something that no one can fully prepare you for, yet, most mothers endure. They endure through the sleepless nights and the perpetual state of feeling overwhelmed until eventually things begin to ease down. Then comes the developmental milestones that most mothers have engraved into their memory for the rest of their lives. Next comes the time where mothers begin to let their child pedal forward on their own with a hand on their back to guide them. And before you know it, they're pedaling without a hand to guide them or training wheels to rely on.

For Davina, Romelia Silvers quickly propped her up and onto the bike before giving her a nice shove, leaving Davina to pedal for herself without the experience of a guiding hand or training wheels.

In spite of Romelia's minimal effort to steer away from her paths of toxicity and convert to the life of motherhood, she still remained the same 16 year old girl who partied until she blacked out, got high enough to forget why she decided to get high in the first place, and sought to find validation through short-term romances and hookups where she felt valued.

Growing up, Davina hoped that one day Romelia would wake up and realize the commitment it takes to be a mother, even if she was years late to understand it. Mothers should be dedicating their lives to ensure that their child lives to their fullest potential. But then months passed, and Romelia still hadn't understood motherhood. Then months turned into a year. And a year turned into long enough for Davina's faith in Romelia as a mother to completely dissipate.

Life around the house became more like two human-beings who lived under the same roof looking out for themselves rather than a mother and daughter sharing a loving home and relationship. It took some time, but Davina grew used to it. She was able to earn enough cash to last her by babysitting (a part-time job in which she got through her best friend Sansa's rich parents who knew other rich and uninvolved parents who were in desperate need of someone to fill in for their parenting duties). School became something she looked forward to instead of dreading because it was the complete opposite of lonely there. It also happened to be the only place where she could deal with all her pent-up emotions properly.