004

your feet ached from wandering around the neighborhood. you tried to make a portal ten times so far, but none were sustained. you sniffled, the days' emotion turning your mind into a battlefield.

"i need to freshen up." you mumbled, shoving your hands into your pockets. you didn't have the energy to connect with your 1610 counterpart. how did everything go so wrong so quickly? you needed to figure out your contingency plan, fast.

you climbed the stairs of a nearby building. every other step glitched when you came into contact, sending you off balance until you learned to anticipate it. you waited for some bright idea popped into your head. your eyes fluttered to a close.

just breathe.

you inhaled. exhaled. in and out.

there you go.

the wind whistled past your ears and... thudded against the fencing?

your eyes flew open only to see one of the guys who ruined your day. he rolled to his feet, staring at you. you stared back, your lips pressed together firmly before promptly standing and heading for the stairs.

"i know- i know we got off to a bad start, but can you please listen to me for a few minutes?" he implored. "i promise i'll leave you alone after that."

"were you following me this whole time?"

"uh... maybe?"

"you're a teenager, right? so do you just not go to school then?"

his voice dipped. "i— i can neither confirm or deny that i am not a teenager."

"uh-huh." your tongue prodded the inside of your cheek  before spinning around. "know what? fine." striding towards him, you continued, "only cuz i also have some important questions."

he gave a faint chuckle. "good, now it's mutual. first—"

"nuh-uh." you interrupted, raising an eyebrow at him. "take off the mask."

"oooo." he drawled. "yeah, that's a no-no."

you shrugged. "i'm not gonna talk to you if i can't see your face. it's impersonal. that's my ultimatum."

he pressed his fingers together in thought, visibly conflicted. a few seconds passed before he relented, his curiosity getting the better of him. "you gotta swear not to tell anyone. i mean it."

you were genuine in your response. "i won't." you crossed your heart. "promise."

he nodded and slowly tugged his mask off. what you saw was a worse sensation than anything you've experienced in the last eight hours.

miles morales. 

"miles?" you chirped before throwing your hands to your mouth. you stared, in shock at your own slip-up as he narrowed his eyes in suspicion. why did i do that? but holy shit, he looks so different. he was buffer than you remembered. 

"how do you know...?"

you cleared your throat. "well, i guess it's no secret that i'm from another dimension at this point so..." you blinked. "yeah." your heart thrummed in protest, but your brain knew better than to lose your cool in front of him. be calm.

"yeah..." he smiled, the words 'another dimension' lighting his eyes. you only frowned. he seemed much brighter in 1610. "that was gonna be my first question! cuz last year i met a bunch of other spiderpeople and- why are you twisting up your face like that?"

you cocked your head in confusion, whatever expression on your face gone. "like what?"

"like you're disgusted." he elaborated before going on another tangent. he paced around you, like an animal circling its prey. it was clear this was an interrogation. "that reminds me—you got sensitive skin or somethin'? my webs aren't that abrasive. and brooklyn loves their spiderman, so for you to—"

"what, you think i hate spiderman?" you deadpanned.

he chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. "yeah, i know it sounds crazy when you say it like—"

"oh, no. i do." the corners of your lips twitched up. 

he frowned. something in your stomach twisted. you added, "certain versions of them, anyway."

miles maintained his pout as he continued. "why?"

you sucked in air through your teeth, turning away from him and pacing. "that's pushing it."

he immediately backtracked. "that's okay. i don't need to know that. what's your name?"

"y/n." you glanced at him as he took the information in, searching through his mental catalogue.

"and you've said we've met before?"

"i dunno about here, but we did in another dimension." 

"i've heard the name y/n around visions... maybe that's you?" he asked hopefully. you shrugged.

"i don't know what this dimension's version of me is doing." you squinted. "i just arrived... today." you winced as pain rippled through your head and ankles, your body glitching for a split second during the strife.

miles grimaced as if he felt your pain. "you look like you've been through a lot."

you laughed ruefully. "you don't wanna know."

"i promise i do." miles inched closer to you and you allowed him. he talked over your scoff. "i know you don't believe that, but i really want to help you. you're the closest thing to normal i've experience recently, so..." his voice trailed off.

you sighed.

"at least let me get you something to eat?"

you pursed your lips. "maybe some new clothes?" you pulled on the coarse jumpsuit.

he held his hand out. "deal."

you eyed his hand. "deal. i'm not gonna shake your hand, just cuz—"

"oh! right."

"yeah."

"my bad." he glanced at you before chuckling. a small, genuine smile spread on your face for the first time in months.