023

"am i too late?!"

the desperation in miles' voice threw rio off. she tuned into his body language and tone, bending to pick up the clothes on the floor.

"what did you do to your hair?" she asked off-handedly, her eyes flickering to the change in style.

weird question, you thought. 

"are you guys okay? tell me you're okay!"

"i'm okay." rio said with warm eyes as she accepted miles' hurried hug. he hugged her so hard. 

you peeked up from the cover of the bed frame, watching miles' and rio's silhouette 

miles pulls away, pacing. "mom, you were right. you were right about everything."

rio dropped another t-shirt into the basket as she laughs softly. "of course i'm right, i'm always right. what am i right about?"

miles explained everything openly, talking about overcoming spider society, spot, how he lied because he was afraid she wouldn't love him the same. you could feel him building up the courage to just say it. to just tell her that he's spiderman.

"papa, i will always love you. don't care what you say. me entiendes?" rio's voice held a perfect balance of being soft and firm. 

miles breathes in deeply, his eyes darting to where you hid. you gave him a reassuring smile, nodding in encouragement.

"mom... i'm spiderman." he unzips his jacket, pulling away the sides to reveal the bright red logo on his chest. his heart is pounding but he keeps his breathing soft, waiting for the reaction. 

it's almost... anticlimatic.

"who's spiderman?" rio asks.

uh.

miles sneaks another distressed glance at you, but the confusion in your face did nothing to soothe him. "the superhero? he got bit by a spider? it gave him spider powers? he's me?"

rio chuckles, shaking her head as she resumes her chores, the tension evaporating from her body. she thought he was gonna tell her something serious! "is this like where you dress up like your favorite character? for—what's it called? comic-con?"

comic con?

"i don't know what that is..." miles frowns as he follows behind her.

oh. 

you felt the pieces click together in your mind. the warmth drains from your face and the room feels smaller all of a sudden when you get up on buzzing legs. back here. you're back here again.

you stumble out the room, the faint voices of the argument growing clearer as you draw closer.

"miles, please. i got you to take care of, i got me to take care of... so help me out." rio sighs, and the tiredness in her voice is all too familiar.

back home again.

"mom, please! i need to talk to you—" 

bzZZT. miles glitches with a groan, heaving over on his hands and knees as his eyes widen in realization. 

he looks back at you, his lips pressed into a line. an expression of stone was what he was met with as you both came to terms that you're in the wrong dimension.

well. he's in the wrong dimension. but what was home once was the last place you wanted to end up in after gaining the means to liberate yourself from a unwanted reality. the sentiment remains the same.