~Two~

--------------------
George's pov
--------------------

"Well this is gonna take forever."

A short silence wrapped itself around us before Clay's words cut through it. "Hey, if it isn't any trouble of course, you could come to mine to work on it." I couldn't be happier to. I was so happy that I had made some friends in such little time.

"Sure." A wide smile was painted on my face.
"Cool, well wanna go straight after school?"
"Okay."

~~~~~

The next few classes flew by until the lunch bell finally rang. Me and my new friends made our way to the cafeteria and got in the queue. Once we had our food, we made our way over to an empty table.

My eyes wandered around at all of the unfamiliar faces, staring back at me. I sat down next to Clay and the other 3 sat opposite us. We laughed and joked together for what felt like hours until a girl with burnt auburn hair and cute round glasses walked over with a book in her hands.

"Here." She handed the book to Clay who's face lit up at just the sight of her.
"Thanks Lizzy." His voice sounded softer than it had been before.
"No problem, I absolutely loved it."
"I told you you'd like it." His smile towards her was so warm.
"Anyways, I'll see you soon." She skipped away with a sweet smile on her freckle dusted face.

"Awwwww Clay's in love~" Nick sang.
"Shut up." His face was bright red. I smiled at his pathetic attempt to hide it. You couldn't deny the love that filled his eyes. Finally, I caught a glimpse of the book he had been handed.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

"Oh, I was going to read that book." I muttered. He looked up at me with a smile.
"Really? You should. None of thid lot read at all." He jokingly glared at them.
"Okay I will ." This made him smile even wider.
"Mine too."

----------------
Clay's pov
----------------

I couldn't feel more grateful for George changing the subject. The other three got bored and stopped pestering me about Elizabeth. I had known her almost my entire life but recently I've been feeling different around her. I didn't want to accept what I already knew it was. I had never before thought of her that way and I didn't want to.

I knew for a fact she didn't feel the same but I also knew she wouldn't completely block me out... I think...

"You okay?" George's voice cut through my thoughts.
"Huh?"
"You zoned out."
"Oh, sorry."
"Don't apologise, it's fine." He reassured me.

We finished eating and me and George talked non stop about our love for reading. The other three continued to mess about as usual.

~~~~~

The last classes flew by and before I knew it, the hometime bell rang. I shot up from my seat and dashed out of the classroom alongside my friends. We all parted ways apart from me and George who stood on the steps, waiting for our pickup.

George suddenly walked towards a car before it drove off. I guessed it was his mom. "Right, she said to call when I need to be picked up." I nodded in response as I looked for my mom.

There she was. I began making my way over to her with George by my side. "Hey mom."
"Oh hello, is he coming over?" She questioned sounding as jolly as always.
"Yes, if that's okay."
"Of course it is."

We both sat down and continued speaking about books we've read. The journey went by much faster than usual.

We both got out of the car before making our way into the house. I led him up to my room and we threw our books onto my bed. He sat down on the floor and I joined him, our project spread out on the floor.