Pup

"Hey, little Eywa. Hey, pup."

Miles thought it was a insult. It had to be. What else could it be? He knows that her, her mother, and other Na'vi were weary of him, he understands what his race has done to their people. But it doesn't make it any easier knowing that the eldest Sully insults him without batting an eye. How could she be so cruel?

Kiri and Lo'ak always talks about how angelic she is, how kind she is, how gentle she is, how loving she is. That's not fair. He wanted that kindness too. He wanted that love too. So, he searched for her. He'd demand it.

Miles sees the older girl talking to a man. Was that her boyfriend? Were they courting each other? He's not around her much to know. He takes a few steps, getting the attention of the man. He stands up straight and glares at him, his body ready to pounce on the boy if needed.

She tilted her head in confusion and turns to see the now frozen boy.

"Ah, hello pup."

Miles growled at the nickname, causing the man who was holding her protectively growl back, one of his hands going to the blade on his hip. This was how he was going to die, wasn't it?

The woman placed a hand on the man's chest, whispering reassurances to him. The man grumbles something to the girl as he turned to her nervously.

"I'll explain later, Tarsem. I'll be okay."

He examines her face with worried, loving eyes, looking for any uncertainty. There was none. He turn back to the boy, glared in warning, before kissing the girl's head. They had to be dating.

The man walked away, not before whispering a threat to him in English. No one really knew that he spoke na'vi, no one really approached the boy.

"I find her hurt, I kill you."

Before he could respond, he was gone. Miles turns to the girl, who was staring at him already, examining the newly blue stripes on his body.

"Pup, why are you blue?"

"I need to talk to you about that actually."

The woman tilted her head in confusion.

"On why you are blue?"

"No! On why you call me pup!"

She hummed in understanding, but her confusion still stood.

"Because you are like one."

"That's not funny! Why do you insist on making fun of me?"

The girl was really confused now. She barely talks to the boy, but when she does she tries to make him welcomed at least somewhat. He's still a child after all. A human child, but a child nonetheless.

"I don't make fun of you."

"Yes you do! I know that I don't belong here and that I'm just a stray to you Sully's but that doesn't mean that you treat me like shit-!"

"Kehe."

Her calm voice sends shivers down his spine, causing him to look down at his feet. He hears her approach him. What was going to happen now. He feels a tap on his mask. It was gentle. He looks up to see a small smile. Not the ones she gives her siblings, but a smile nonetheless. It was kind.

"I don't make fun of you. I call you pup because you are like a puppy. Running around without a care, following the ones he loves. You're playful, eyes always wide and happy when you're with Lo'ak and Kiri. I call you that not because you are a stray, but because you are something small that some na'vi love."

He looks at her in awe. Was this the love that Lo'ak talked about? If it was, he didn't mind the nickname now. The girl tilts her head.

"Do you understand now?"

Spider nods, a smile forming.

"Yeah,"

He suddenly hugs her, causing her to freeze. He didn't mind, he knew she was still weary. He pulls away and smiles at the woman.

"Thank you, for not seeing me as a stray."

Even though their interactions were small and brief, she always treated him with kindness. He appreciated that. He would mainly only hang out with the younger Sully's. But when he saw her, he just had to say hi. Her response, although overused, gave him the little love that he needed.

"Oh. Hello, pup."