Chapter 6

After an hour or two, Bucky climbed back through the window and into the kitchen. Steve turned around to see Bucky sneak through the kitchen and into Steve's room. Steve wanted to investigate, as in the two days Bucky had been staying with him, he'd been very cautious of boundaries.
Steve peered into the room to see Bucky, curled up in bed, smothered with blankets. It was understandable that he would be tired, he'd had quite a day.
After ascertaining that Bucky was asleep, Steve creeped in and sat gingerly on the edge of the bed. He watched Bucky's face, peaceful for the first time since he'd seen him back in the forties. He reached his hand toward his long, brown hair and pushed the strands away from his mouth. He leaned in, and did something he'd wanted to do for years and regretted not doing immensely before. Steve connected his lips to Bucky's, kissing him gently and sweetly. Bucky jerked and his eyes opened wide. He looked at Steve, who was inches from his face, lips puckered and frozen.
Steve blinked and stood up slowly. "I'm sorry. I'm just gonna leave." He said, flustered.
As he was leaving Bucky called out. "No, wait."
Steve turned around and looked at the ground, face bright red.
"Do you... like me?" Bucky said, the end turning into a whisper.
Steve's face blushed even more and he didn't say anything.
"Steve. Look at me. Please." Bucky said, sitting up in bed and swinging his feet over the edge.
Steve looked up at Bucky and slowly nodded.
"You like me?" Bucky asked, smirking slightly.
"Uh... yeah."
Bucky patted the bed next to him, motioning for Steve to sit. Steve shuffled over, totally and completely embarrassed. Bucky grabbed Steve's chin and forced him to look at his face. He leaned in and kissed Steve, slightly rougher, but sweet and pleasant. Steve wrapped his arms around Bucky's neck and tangled his fingers into the back of his hair as Bucky ran his fingers across Steve's lower back.
Bucky pulled away first, breathing heavily. "I've loved you since that time when I was sixteen and we went to the beach. I saw you splashing around in the water and laughing and I knew I wanted to be with you, but in a different way from how we were." He said, still breathing heavily.
Steve pulled him closer to whisper in his ear. "And I knew I wanted to spend my entire life with you when you took me to the Stark Expo the night before you left. I didn't want you to go, and I didn't want to spend our last night together in the company of dates. That's when I became even more determined to join the army, I wanted to be with you again."
"Well you found me, didn't you?" Bucky said, pulling Steve in for another kiss.
Eventually Steve fell asleep, and Bucky was left awake with his mind running. He knew that Steve felt the same way, but he couldn't help but be nervous. This attachment couldn't end well for either of them. Bucky was just a walking machine, and even though he had the majority of his memories back, he still had a large number of triggers. And though it was reassuring that Steve knew his "shut down word," what if there was a time where Steve couldn't stop him? What if he hurt Steve so badly that he couldn't stop it? This scared Bucky immensely.
He rolled over to look at Steve, sleeping peacefully and traced his facial features with his finger, lightly and carefully. He fell asleep curled into Steve's form and slept well for the first time in a while.
In the morning, Steve woke up early, and noticing Bucky clinging to him, began to disentangle himself. He smiled and kissed Bucky's head before leaving the room for the kitchen. He started to get out ingredients for his super scrambled eggs when Bucky walked into the room, yawning and trying to pat down his mess of hair.
"Morning." Steve said, blushing.
Neither were quite sure how to act around the other now. It had been so sudden and they'd been so caught up in the moment last night that they weren't really sure where they stood at the moment.
Bucky, always the bolder of the two, walked up and wrapped his arms around Steve's waist while he cooked. Steve looked over his shoulder and blushed.
He cleared his throat and decided to get the awkwardness over with. "So Buck, what exactly are we now?"
"Fiancées?" He joked, making Steve turn around, jaw dropped. "Kidding, kidding! How about just boyfriends." He said, kissing Steve on the cheek.
"Boyfriends. I like the sound of that." Steve said, smiling and getting back to cooking.
Bucky put his hair up with a rubber band and got our plates and silverware. Steve split the eggs onto the plates and gave Bucky a quick kiss before sitting down.
As they were eating, Steve surprised Bucky.
"Tonight I'm taking you on a date." Steve said.
"Where?" Bucky asked, caught completely off guard.
"You'll find out. I'll pick an outfit for you." Steve said, patting Bucky's hand.
Steve had something in mind and was planning the night in his head when Bucky interrupted.
"I'm going for a run, want to come?" He asked.
Steve smiled. "Sure."
They changed and headed out the door, holding hands.

A/N
Sorry I've been gone so long. I just felt the urge to write today and this is the result. Comment and vote if you like it, I write based on your feedback :)
And the person who knew what the title is based off of last chapter! I haven't forgotten you! Congrats to Emmibear1999! You rock!