Chapter 3

The coffee was hot and dark. Bucky poured it into a mug he found in the cupboard. He smiled at the American flag printed on it. Bucky walked over to the small kitchen table in the middle of the room and took a seat in the rickety wooden chair. He closed his eyes and sniffed in the scent of fresh coffee, a luxury he hadn't had in years. He tried to remember the old days when this had been his morning routine. All he could catch were glimpses of the simple life he'd lived before the army.

He took a long sip of the coffee, rich and extremely caffeinated. The caffeine, of course, had no effect on him as a result of the treatment he had gone through. But he'd always liked the little extra kick it added.

Bucky downed the mug in five long gulps and put it in the sink to be washed. He stood up and walked into the bathroom. He dug around in the various cabinets for an extra toothbrush, and finding one, brushed his teeth vigorously. He splashed some cold water on his face and decided to save showering for later. With that done, he decided it was time to wake up Steve.

Steve had been asleep for almost 14 hours by this point and Bucky was growing increasingly more worried about him. Steve rarely slept more than 10 hours, even when he was very sick and weak. Bucky walked down the hall, stopping at Steve's wooden door. He turned the knob and entered slowly, tiptoeing over to the sleeping man. He sat down on the very edge of the bed, causing it to creak and moan. He cringed before lightly brushing Steve's hair out of his face.

"Steve." He whispered softly in an attempt to ease Steve out of his sleep.

"Steve, wake up." He said a bit louder, but equally as gently.

He grabbed Steve's shoulder and gave it a light shake. Steve scowled in his sleep and curled up. Bucky sighed and shook a bit harder.

"Steve!" He said, almost shouting into the man's ear.

Steve's eyes fluttered open and he looked around wildly. Seeing a strange man sitting on his bed, he scrambled into the corner kicking.
"Steve, it's me. It's Bucky, Steve." Bucky said, holding his hands up.
"Bucky?" Steve said, eyes growing wide.
"Yeah Steve, it's me. Do you remember anything about last night?" Bucky asked, sincerely hoping Steve didn't remember almost being strangled to death.
"Last night? I don't... no... how did you get here anyways? I thought you were dead!" Steve spluttered.
"Yeah. Remember? We met on the street and came back to your place? You didn't seem like you were feeling well." Bucky said, relieved. He wasn't lying exactly, they had met on the street, and Steve certainly didn't seem well.
"No. And are you calling yourself Bucky?" Steve said, still bewildered.
"Yes I am, Steve. It's a long story, best saved for another day. Do you remember where you were last night at all?" Bucky asked, checking to see just how much of Steve's memory he had corrupted.
"Oh. Well, I remember a bar and a lot of people, but that's about it. Nothing after probably about seven o'clock." Steve said, rubbing his temples with a grimace on his face.
"Hm. Well you can't get drunk, can you?" Bucky asked, hoping maybe Steve's conditions were the same as his own.
"No, no I can't. Someone must have spiked my drink or something. That would explain this headache too. But what's up with these bruises? Did I get into a fight?" Steve asked.
"I think so. When I found you, you were pretty beat up." Bucky said.
He hadn't even noticed the forming bruises around Steve's muscular neck and on his enormous arms. Because of the serum, he hoped they would go away quickly and stay light. But he was thankful that Steve had only suffered minor and extremely convenient memory loss. It seemed the only thing he didn't remember was his fight with Bucky. But the rest of his mind would have to wait to be tested. Bucky was worried about his ability to walk right and other daily activities. He'd seen people come out of chokings without the ability to walk, write, and some were even paralyzed in certain parts of their bodies.

He helped Steve slowly sit up as he grimaced and held his neck. He winced, feeling the forming bruised and let out a small whimper. Bucky sat next to him with his hand on Steve's back for support. Steve was dizzy and he had tunnel vision. The effort of sitting up had been too much exertion for him and he took a minute to breathe heavily with his head between his knees. Bucky rubbed circles on his back soothingly as Steve tried to gather his strength.

"It's alright sport, take your time." Bucky said, looking worriedly down at him.

"Just like old times, eh Buck?" Steve managed to say in between wheezes, shooting Bucky a lopsided smile.

"Yeah Steve, just like old times."

A/N

Hey everyone! I want to thank you for all the support you guy have given me, continue to give feedback! I'm constantly trying to find time to write, but it doesn't always work out, so I'm sorry about how long it takes me to upload, I lead a hectic life. ;)

Also, if anyone would like to, I have a completed Stucky Fic called 'Welcome to the New Age' that you all can read if you want more between uploads.

*Shamelessly self promotes*

Comment, Vote, Add to your Library, and Follow me for more!

Thank you all!

Love,

Lauren