Chapter 3: Campfire Stories

As Puss, Kitty, and Perrito pulled into the small wooden dock, Puss reminisced about his past adventures.

He thought about when he roamed the streets of Far Far Away riding a giant gingerbread man with human Shrek and horse donkey. He would never forget Mongo and the sacrifice he made. And who could forget the trip he, Shrek, and Donkey took. He certainly couldn't!

Meanwhile, Perrito was thinking too. He wanted to meet his friend's friends and potentially make new friends. He thought about what he would say when he met Puss' old friends; "Hi, my name's Perrito, I'm one of Puss' friends. What's your name?" He hoped he could make a good first impression.

Then, there was Kitty. She was a bit nervous at meeting Puss' friends. Like Perrito, she didn't want to make a bad first impression. Instead of planning out what she was going to say, she decided she would just wing it.

As the three got off the boat, the three exchanged a look of readiness. Puss was the only one confident in what he was about to do, but the other two were sure good at hiding it. They started walking from the dock area. As they began the journey to Far Far Away, Puss looked back on the boat. He noticed something strange. The boat had moved from beside the dock to on the shore. "Hey guys, who moved that boat?" Puss asked. The other two looked back. "What do you mean?" Perrito asked. "The boat was next to the deck a moment ago and now it's fully on the sand." Puss explained. "Well, did you tie it fully." Perrito asked, hoping to cover it up. "Well, no, but it couldn't have moved that fast," Puss replied. "Maybe it could've?" Perrito replied. "Yeah, it could have moved," Kitty added, "There could've been strong waves." "No way, I'm not crazy!" Puss replied. "Yeah, sure," Kitty replied, "Now go tie the boat up." "Ugh, fine!" Puss groaned. He walked back over to the dock and swiftly tied up the boat. Afterwards, Puss rejoined their group and they began their hike to Far Far Away.

 was a long hike. Puss couldn't even count how many breaks they had to take. There wasn't even a trail at some points, so they got lost quite a lot. There were a few arguments, but they got it figured out. Eventually, it was dusk. So, the three decided to set up camp and sleep for the night. Perrito got the fire wood, Puss built thre wooden tents, and Kitty got some food. After about an hour, the three met back up to have some dinner.

Kitty had got fish for all three of them. As she was putting all of them on a stick, Puss began to get the fire started. Perrito had already placed it down and was taking a short nap. It was difficult for him, but he managed to get a few sparks. "You need any help?" Kitty asked teasingly. "No no, I got it," Puss replied stubbornly. He got it about five minutes later. "Heh, didn't need any help," Puss murmured to himself. "Oh, what was that?" Kitty replied, "Do you want to tell Perrito about 'The Trident'?" "Why would we speak of that?" Puss replied, still sitting at the fire. "Oh, just a campfire story," she teased. "What'd you guys say?" Perrito asked sleepily, having heard his name. "Oh, it's nothing perro," Puss replied. Perrito then got a bit more sleep until the fish was ready.

After a short while, dinner was ready. The fish, which was salmon, tasted pretty good. During their late dinner, they argued over which type of fish they liked better. Kitty's favorite was salmon, which is why she caught it for dinner, Perrito's was tuna, and Puss' was catfish. "It depends on the type of tuna," Puss argued, "If it's bad tuna, then you've got bad luck as well." "Well I think tuna is almost always good!" Perrito argued back, "And it's definitely always better than catfish." "You both are dead wrong," Kitty added, "Salmon is the most consistent fish, you always know what you're going to get." "Sure, salmon is consistent," Puss replied, "But so is catfish, and it's better!" "Tuna is also consistent!" Perrito added on, "IT IS NOT!" Puss and Kitty replied in unison. "IS TOO!" Perrito replied. "Alright, but can we all agree that cod is horrible?" Kitty asked. "Agreed," the other two replied at the same time. "Good." The three then stared at each other in silence. "Catfish is the best though," Puss murmured under his breath. "IS NOT!"