Chapter Six: Bruce Wayne

AN: Heyyyyy. It's been probably a year or something since I've updated? I have no idea to be honest. I'm sure everyone probably thought I gave up on this, which is valid, because I totally did give up on it. Thing is, I tend to get inspiration for stories in bursts that can take a bit between chapters. Even if I say I'm abandoning something, you can expect me to come back eventually (probably).

Thanks for being patient with me. I know from personal experience that it's sooooo frustrating to wait this long for new chapters. Just know that I will always be back. And if you can't wait, that's fine. I wouldn't want to wait that long either lol

Enjoy this new chapter!

~

Batman was known for his cold, indifferent attitude. It was a necessary tool when navigating Gotham's notoriously disturbing cases. He never found pleasure in what he did, but it was necessary to keep himself emotionally closed off. Despite the popular belief about himself, it wasn't that he was uncaring; that couldn't be further from the truth. The issue was that he cared far too damn much, and needed to keep himself emotionally distant, or risk damaging his own mind beyond repair.

He has seen far too many horrors in his life. Deranged killers that stirred chaos for fun, intricate gang hierarchies and wars spreading across the city, bodies turning up mangled beyond recognition, innocent people tortured and slaughtered in mass-

He has seen it all. He has had many years of experience to have mastered any and all techniques to keep himself disconnected on a personal level. When he wore the mask, he was no longer at the helm. Batman was his own entity, which prevented Bruce Wayne from being affected by all of the horrors he has seen.

Except for now.

Now, Batman was not separate. Now, they were grappling at each other for control of a situation that affected both sides of their coin. Now, Dick Grayson has resurfaced out of no where, and now, Bruce was tearing himself up inside, trying to figure out what to think. What to feel. What to do.

This was never supposed to happen. Batman didn't form attachments. Occasional allegiances such as the JLA, yes. Random children that were imprisoned and experimented on for years, no. He was not supposed to care.

Neither was Bruce, actually.

Or at least, Bruce made a point of avoiding any real connections with others. Bruce Wayne was a persona as much as Batman was, mainly used as a cover for his activities at night. Instead of the cold-hearted man under the mask, Bruce Wayne played the bumbling idiot to the public. He was the spoiled rich boy, throwing meaningless parties left and right, drinking himself into oblivion and flirting with any woman who would look his way. It was necessary to keep himself in this light for the hungry journalists, maintaining the image that he was surrounded by friends and love interests. Yet, that was merely another lie.

Those who believed themselves to be friends with Bruce were nothing more than a part of the cover story. Bruce maintained his connections with the wealthy both for the purpose of maintaining his image, and for the benefit of Wayne Enterprises. As far as his supposed love interests, those were typically one night stands with zero strings attached. There were of course the occasional woman that tried her luck with something more with him, and he felt a tad guilty for having to reject such advances, but it was necessary. Even if he did find someone that he could truly love in such a way, he could never allow himself anything more.