six

I wake up to a sudden jolt. Ali sits at the edge of my bed trying to wake me. She doesn't smile at me like usual.

"What did I do?" I ask confused.

"You did nothing, but you must attend a trail in half an hour. Its from the outer piers and our food source." I rush out of bed and look around for my hairbrush but Ali beats me to it. While she gets my dress, a one sleeved maroon floor dress, I sit and bun my hair perfectly.

"Its from a farm, a boy your age named Quinnson." That name sounds familiar, too familiar.

When we walk out in the hallway Amy and Becca are wearing the red dresses that I designed and I can't help but giggle, even in these circumstances.

"What is so funny Scarlett?" they say synchronized. I can't help but come clean.

"Its just that those dresses are so beautiful. Even more than I pictured." They share a confused frown and look back at me.

"We are still confused. How did you know about these dresses, our maids said they were a gift." Amelia says looking at me and next to her, Becca is starting to understand.

"These are my designs. I told my maid to make them and they made them so quick." The girls look at me before smiling and walking down the staircase. I follow them quietly to the royal sitting room. My parents wait in the throne room while Amelia ,Becca, Kaidenn and I sit and talk.

The throne room is gray like most of the palace with dull walls and dull corridors. I sit in one of the sofas beside Kaidenn.

"Scarlett you want to join me and some people tonight? Don't tell mom though. She won't appreciate us leaving the palace, unescorted. " Kaidenn does this all the time, goes out of the palace late at night with random people and pretends to not be a prince.

"Count me in. What time?" I reply grinning. He smiles back and whispers in my ear;

"Tonight, midnight, Behind the palace. Be there. Or not." He smiles and begins to make small talk with Amelia and Becca. I on the other hand look at my hands, fiddling with them.

"Scarlett. Hello? Are you even listening?" Becca waves her had in front of my eyes making me regain my focus.

"Oh yeah." I reply quickly. The twins nod slowly before starting to talk again. I actually listen to hear;

"I am so excited that Scarlett is going to be engaged in a year! Kaidenn is too! I am so excited for you too!" I glance over at my brother and this isn't news to him. But it is to me. I am going to get engaged? In a year? This can't be right. Who?

The guards tell us that it's time to attend the trial. The four of us walk in a line, oldest to youngest, with me in front and Becca in back.

The court is uptight today, more so than usual. If the whole royal family attends a court it means that something is wrong. Usually only Mom, Dad, and I attend court sessions. I take a seat in the highest chair with Kaidenn sitting beside me in his chair, then Amelia, and last Becca.

Mom and Dad look uptight as well, making me get the impression to be worried. But I'm not. All I can think about is tonight.

"Scarlett why is everyone so uptight?" Kaidenn asks carefully for our parents to hear. We aren't supposted to talk to each other during court so not to interfere with the court. Stupid rule; anyways I look at him and whisper back;

"I wish I knew." He turns around to watch every person in the room take their seats. The accused isn't here yet, the accused always comes in last and is announced in. If his case got all the way from the outer pier to the palace then the reb attacks must be getting worse.

The whole room silences and awaits the accused to come in. When he does I am shocked to see him about the same age as me and he actually looks like a normal person. I always thought people in the outer pier looked different, that's all.

"Announcing Quinnson from the Outer Pier to the court as the accused." The announcer says loudly.

On the other side of the room a plate drops and food scatters everywhere, making the servant look directly at me. I wave it off and resume my attention to the accused, scrutinizing him.

The boy watched me wave the servant off and appears angry at what I don't understand but that isn't what catches my attention making me gape.

This is the boy in the painting.