CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

The heat gave way to cool warmth, the delicate flower buds of greenleaf wilted into brown flakes. His kits were apprenticed. Galepaw was apprenticed to Birchclaw, Graypaw to Bramblelight, and Ripplepaw to Bumblestar.

Their first nights out made Frostbite purr, but Beefrost couldn't share the pride. Just more warriors. He thought, watching as Ripplepaw emerged from the medics den, a ball of moss tucked under her chin. She gave her father a cheerful flick of her tail, then turned away to the elders' den, where Larchgaze had joined a few nights ago.

Beefrost could tell she still had plenty of moons of strength in her, but knowing her daughters' kits were almost warriors seemed to have driven her into early retirement.

The sun was barely rising, the milky sunlight behind the clouds, Beefrost was sitting in the center of the clearing, gulping down a rather skinny vole, waiting for Birdstem to call him on patrol, but she never did. She never does anymore.

As the dawn patrols left the camp, Beefrost was left alone in the still sleepy camp. Maelstrom poked his head from the nursery, that's where he's been sleeping recently. Ever since Beefrost had taken Foxpaw battle training in the shallow water, Maelstrom had been having really bad nightmares. Bad enough to get him kicked from the warriors den.

"TrailClan!" Bumblestar called out, her tail held high. She looks happy. Beefrost thought. The remaining cats in camp poured from the dens, gazing sleepily at the tabby queen.

"I've got amazing news! Grasstail and Scorchtail's expecting kits!" She paused as cheering roared from the cats below. Beefrost spotted Scorchtail curling his tail over Grasstail's. "And Haypetal and Maelstrom will be welcoming their second litter soon!"

"What." The words were out of Beefrost's mouth before he could think, the cheering was too loud for anyone to hear, but he still felt as though he howled it loud enough for AlpClan to hear. More dirty-blooded kits? The thought made Beefrost's claws itch. Beefrost scowled, and he made sure Haypetal could see.

That dirty queen! That filthy disgusting queen! His claws dug into the ground. She can't bring more nasty kits here! Her first litter is already tainting the Clan with their lack of respect! Beefrost sat up straight. I have to do something. He stalked into the warriors den and began to plan. He had to save TrailClan.

Frostbite pushed inside the den. "Aren't you excited Beefrost?" She mewed, her voice thick with concern. She must have seen him leave the clearing. "More kits for TrailClan is a wonderful thing!" Frostbite had no idea the dangers her sister placed on this Clan. TrailClan doesn't need Maelstrom's kits! And Haypetal is a brainless furball for thinking her precious half-loner litters are doing the Clan any good.

"The dawn patrols should be back any time now, would you like to join a patrol?" The sincerity in Frostbite's voice made him yearn to plant his muzzle into her fur, she loved him so much. The guilt that bit at Beefrost's tail died away as he pressed his nose into her fluffy pelt. What is wrong with me? He felt Frostbite take his tail in hers.

I've been so caught up with Haypetal, I hardly remembered Frostbite. He was aware of her lapping at the fur on his shoulder. I'm so sorry, I'll make it up to you. Then, a thought stabbed into his mind and he felt his lips draw back in a snarl. I'll make it up to TrailClan.