twenty four

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter twenty four.

HUNTER STOOD IN THE kitchen of Eddie Diaz, hovering over the stove as she stirred the pasta noddles that slowly mixed with the cheese powder to become Mac and Cheese

"You know you don't have to do this?" Eddie asked from his spot on the couch, blanket cover his legs as he watched the TV.

Hunter cast a glance back at the recovering man, his arm still in a sling from the gunshot wound, "No one felt comfortable with you being all by yourself," she told him with a sarcastic grin, "and besides, I haven't been cleared for duty yet and I'll go crazy just sitting around."

She would go crazy if she waited at home in her apartment all day. More accurately, she would drive around the city if LA looking for any sign of Solotov even though she knew it would have been pointless. With Chris at school and the 118 A—shift working, Hunter and Eddie were all alone.

Eddie shot the woman a thankful grin as she began walking his way with two plays of mac and cheese. Throwing herself back into her spot on the couch, she sighed as her attention turned back to the the TV. Some early nineties movie played on the screen, the mildly fuzzy picture sticking out into comparison of a modern film.

The Diaz broke his gaze away from the flat screen, eyes tracing over the blonde woman, "how's Buck doing?" He asked, wondering the state of the man who seemed to always find a way to put himself down.

Hunter shrugged, a sigh escaping her lips as she frowned while picking through the bowl of pasta noddles with her spoon, "he won't say it anymore but he still thinks... well, I don't know, either he wishes he would have done something better or been the one shot."

It was no secret Buck struggled with the acceptance of his own worth, more often than not he put others before himself. That quality, the selflessness, was one that Hunter admired because she knew she did not possess the ability to care for others the way Buck does. But it bothered his friends, mostly Hunter and Eddie, that he saw himself below others and used recklessness to prove his worth.