(Chapter 4) The Hunter Exams! Sayonara.

Aunt Mito left me downstairs while she and Gon had a 'talk' about something. My guess was that she was still scolding him for letting in a stranger, but none of that matters currently.

 My guess was that she was still scolding him for letting in a stranger, but none of that matters currently

{ Flashback #001 }

"Chicken katsu over rice and curry, with a side of micro greens. A small salad, and miso soup. Eat up.. I'll be back down shortly- I need to speak with Gon for a moment, will you please excuse me?" Aunt Mito bows her head stiffly, making a little 'hm!' noise from her throat before proceeding upstairs where Gon had rushed off to earlier.

{ End of Flashback #001 }

I gobbled it up. Every last drop until my plate and bowls were empty. The chicken was perfectly crispy and crunchy, the meat tender and oozing with juices and salty flavor. The sweet and spicy teriyaki sauce on top had to be the best part. I mean, a salad's just a salad. But it was still light and refreshing. And at last, the warm broth against my lips- and the flavors-oh! All the mellowed flavors coming together, some sweetness-some spice-! In the miso soup.. it was too much to handle.

I sat back in the wooden chair patting my belly like an old man, the wood creaked with my shifting of weight. I think- I think that was genuinely the most delicious meal I've ever had the pleasure of putting in my mouth. You know what? I could stay here!

x

Aunt Mito's POV:

"Gon.. Please, I'd like you to think very carefully about this." I knock on the door again, exhaling a groan-sigh when I realize it was already a crack open, not even fully closed.

He's only 12. That's why I'm so worried about him doing something this dangerous. Yes, his father did the same thing at his age but- I don't know! He was different- THIS is different. I don't want anything to happen to my precious Gon! He's the only child I've ever raised, almost like a mother. I think of him as a son, I treat him as if I birthed him. Although he will always be my nephew.

And I'll always be called 'Aunt' Mito. Not 'mama'.

I push the door closed with my foot, stepping aside to be out of the walkway. My hands folded over my lap in front of me. Proper as always, I can't help it. "Are you sure about this?" I ask worriedly, my voice shivering with fear. He hasn't even left yet, and I'm already concerned for his well-being.

"Yeah." Gon quickly replied, dragging out the word. He faces away from me, sitting cross-legged on the rug just a few feet from where I'm standing. He's cleaning that damned fishing pole he brings with him everywhere. He was dead-set focused on his right hand containing a white rag, wiping up and down in swift strokes.

I look over at his backpack: wide open with folded clothes and socks next to it. There's no stopping this boy.

I glare at the back of his head, frowning. I continued on hoping to persuade him. "...when you were just a baby, your father abandoned you to be a Hunter. You know that don't you?" And why would you want to be something that took your childhood away from you, Gon?!

"I do." He quickly replies in one breath, collecting himself off the floor. He leans his fishing pole against the closet door, then plops back down into a cross-legged position, now facing me with a bright smile.

I've had enough of this. "He chose being a Hunter over his own son! Don't you know--"

"Yeah! Isn't that amazing? It must be an awesome job if its worth leaving his kid, don't ya think?" Gon smirked, not a damn care in the world.

"But it's dangerous!" I yell, losing a bit of my composure. "You could die at any time, for any number of ridiculous reasons! Don't you understand..."

"No.. I don't understand." He sullenly mumbles, quickly replaced by self-assuredness. "But I wanna!" Gon springs to his feet, pumping his fists by his sides. "I've gotta do this! To understand WHY it was so important to my dad! So please Aunt Mito... let me."

"Hm.." I started to smile, just couldn't help it. "Just as I thought... You're just like Ging." I knew I wasn't going to be able to stop him in the first place, but the fact that he was so... willing. And his explanation? What can I say, it moved me.

"Um.. Does this mean I can go?" Gon asks hopefully, giving me puppy eyes.

I sighed and groaned but nod my head 'yes'. "Yes Gon. I'll allow you to participate in the Hunter exams."

x