(Chapter 5) Goodbye, Whale Island!

I've never seen a nicer bathroom for such a rural area

There was a bunch of multicolored bar soaps on a metal rack, all placed neatly on a mini shelf by the bathtub. Shampoo- conditioner- pump body wash, couple of small textured rags and a long fuzzy drying towel as well.

"Aaaahh.." I exclaimed in pleasure as I settle into the hot bath water. I wiggled my toes, creating some bubbles around my feet. The smell was slightly sweet, but strong, like mint and peach or something. A bit of grit on my butt- bath salts.

Luckily, Aunt Mito washed my clothes last night. They'd gotten a bit dirty from lying on the ground. I saw them folded neatly across the room, lying on the large sink counter.

I still don't know what Gon and Aunt Mito talked about last night, but he wouldn't tell me this morning. He's getting ready now too though, I should hurry.

x

"Umm.. I'm ready!" I shout to the empty house, stepping outside my assigned room for the night with a slight smile. I wrinkle my brows in confusion. "Huh? Where'd everybody go?"

I jog to the front door and slip into my busted-up sneakers, peering through the agonizingly bright sunshine. A little old woman stood under the shade of the slanted roof. Standing a few feet away, I watched Gon as he and Aunt Mito shared some brief words.

Didn't take long- only about 3 minutes. At the end they did a pinky promise, and even from way over here I could hear Gon's loud whiny voice go, "KIIIISSSSSS" for some reason.

I took a couple cautious steps forward, stepping out into the sun. But I kept a small distance, not wanting to interrupt. Aunt Mito pulls Gon into a hug, wrapping her arms around his neck. Tears streaming down her gorgeous face while whispering something to him.. I wonder what it was?

Finally, Aunt Mito rubs his upperarms and nods her head, again saying something I can't make out. Gon plants his face int her chest, hugging her back tightly around her waist. They turn, facing the opposite of me and the little old woman, whom I never got the name of- I'm just gonna assume it's the Grandmother of Gon, and start walking.

I take this as my chance to step in.

"Hey! Umm, good morning Gon! And Aunt- er... Miss, Mito." I breathed, slightly catching my breath after jogging up behind them, placing myself on the left of Gon. So he was in the middle, Aunt Mito to the right, and I on the left.

"Mornin!" Gon briefly looks at me as he replies enthusiastically, Aunt Mito settling with a calm and quiet, "Good morning Y/N." I shrug my shoulders and sigh, looking all around me. Breathing in the fresh air, taking in the greenery and surroundings. Hey, this place was actually incredibly beautiful.

After we all walked what felt like a freaking MILE- we came across a big ass boat.

"Ohh.. You- you be safe out there Gon! Make sure to always be aware of your surroundings and-and be kind! But not too kind so you don't get taken advantage of, and- I love you Gon! Have fun, I guess.. but you stay safe you hear me?? Or I'll come and join you in the Hunter exams and beat you myself!" Aunt Mito yelled to us- well Gon- as we boarded the boat, tucking her arms around herself with a soft head shake.

"Hahaha! I love you too, Aunt Mito! I wiiiilll!" Gon shouted back, waving his arms in the air as he looked down at the rather massive crowd of people below. He had the biggest smile on his face.

The boat began to drift away from the docks. The murmuring crowd roared to life; bursting into laughter, chants, and cheers. All saying goodbye to... Gon. I felt like a nobody standing next to him.

("Wait. These people don't know me.") I rolled my eyes and laughed at how stupid I was acting just now. Of course, they weren't cheering for me! I just freaking got here!

x

"Knock em dead, kid!" One scruffy guy said.

"Youu GOT this, Gon!" Another guy screamed cheerfully.

"Do your best, okay?" A feminine voice shouts.

x

"Thanks everybodyyy! I'm going to be the BEST Hunter in the world! And as soon as I make that happen, I'll be back. I love you guys! See you all again soon!" Gon shouts with his hands cupped over his mouth to make more of an echo. He smiles and waves his arms over his head frantically.

Gon, you idiot. We're long away from the shore. They cannot hear you.

But anyways... now it was time to participate in the "Hunter Exams"... what wonders lie ahead? I hope it's not too dangerous like Aunt Mito said--I don't want to die before I can get back home.