Twenty

IRRITATINGLY IRRESISTIBLE

"Mom!" I called as I struggled with the curling iron in my hand. I had somehow managed to do my makeup somewhat presentably after calling Sarah for help and now I was left to my own devices as I struggled to do my hair.

"Yes, Darling?" Mom asked as she walked through the door, putting an earring in her ear. "Can you help me with my hair?" I asked, turning to look at her. "Of course Tatum, you look beautiful," She said as she walked up to me. "Thank you Mom," I smiled at her through the mirror as I turned back.

She ran the curling iron through my hair as we talked about everything that had happened at school. "I'm glad you're making new friends, but I hate when you and Atticus fight," She frowned as she continued curling my hair. "I hate it too," I agreed with her, watching as she worked. "So you and Ezra are together now?" She laughed and I smiled lightly. "We're not dating yet, but we are definitely getting there," I laughed.

"I wondered if you guys would ever get together in the end," She laughed as she curled the last strand of hair. "Okay, I'm almost done. Hand me your brush," She smiled and I reached over grabbing it before handing it to her. I watched as she carefully combed through the curls, watching as the fell into less harsh curls around my face.

"I made a beautiful kid," She laughed, messing with the hair at the front of my face. "Indeed you did Mom," Atticus laughed from the doorway. I stuck my tongue at him before standing and stretching. "Can you help me tie my tie?" He laughed, causing Mom to laugh and walk over to him.

I moved to my suitcase and pulled out the dark red dress. I stepped into the closet and pulled the door closed, quickly changing into the dress carefully not to mess up my makeup or get any on the dress and not mess up my hair.

"I forgot shoes," I said as I pushed open the door of the closet, causing both Mom and Atts to look at me. "Wow," Atticus said looking at me. "Honey, you look all grown up," Mom said as tears welled up in her eyes. "Hey! No crying! We have a wedding to attend," James laughed poking his head through the door. He looked over at me and smiled. "You look beautiful Tate," He smiled and I smiled back. "Thank you Dad," I said and he nodded before leaving the room.

"I have a pair of heels you can borrow come on," Mom said, pulling me by the hand to her room.

***

"I told you I'd have the prettiest date here," Ezra joked as we sat at one of the tables for the reception. "Shut up. Alice looks absolutely stunning," I said, looking over at my cousin who sat at a long table next to her now husband, Ricky.

"That's going to be us one day," Ezra said, smiling down at me. "Shut up," I laughed, burying my red face in my hands. "It's the truth Tater Tot," He said, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "May I have this dance?" He joked as a slow song began to play. I looked over at the dance floor that was now filling up with people. "Of course," I said, taking his hand as we stood up walking out to the dance floor.

He wrapped his arms gently around my waist and began to sway lightly to the music as I wrapped my arms around his neck, resting my head lightly on his chest. "You're amazing Tatum," He whispered and I shook my head at him with a small huff. "Stop being nice to me, it's weird," I whispered, joking with him. "It's the truth Tate," He laughed.

I pulled my head off his chest and looked up at him with a small smile. "I have a question for you," He laughed and I felt nerves build up in my chest. "What is it?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at him. "Will you come outside with me after this?" I sighed lightly and nodded my head.

When the song finished we told everyone we'd be back and walked outside. I let him lead me but laughed when I saw where we were headed for. A gazebo wrapped up in fairy lights. "How cliche," I joked, as he tugged my hand along next to him. "I asked for it to be extra cliche, just for you," He laughed as we stepped up under the gazebo.

"It's freezing out here," I laughed, rubbing my arms up and down against the winter air. "Here," He said, shrugging off his suit jacket and handing it to me. "You'll be cold," I said trying to hand it back to him. "I'll be fine, just wear the damn thing," He laughed and I sighed, pulling it on.

"Tatum, I have a real question for you now," He said, wrapping his arms around my waist before leaning against the banister of the gazebo. "So the outside one was fake?" I laughed and he smiled shaking his head at me. "No, this one is just serious and life changing," He joked and I felt my nerves build up once again.

"Will you be my girlfriend Tatum Lee?" He asked and I gasped lightly, looking up into his eyes. He looked super nervous and I decided to make him sweat a little by taking a second to give him my answer. "Of course, dumbass," I laughed and he breathed out a sigh before cupping my face with his cold hands and kissed me.