-003-

-Vance POV-

I finished dinner for the kids and left Liz some food since she was coming home from her tour tonight. JJ tugged on my jeans and I turned to him.

"What's up kid?"

"I pushed a kid to the ground today..."

"You pushed a kid, huh?" I bent to his level.

"Yeah...I pushed a kid. But he pushed me first!"

"Really? Well, then you're not in trouble."

"Wait really?"

"Yeah, you're not in trouble. I've always told you,"

"If someone hits you, you hit them back harder." We said at the same time.

"Okay...Oh! I passed my fast facts test! I got an A!"

"That's great kiddo!" I hugged him. "Alright, you deserve a treat. What do you want for dinner?"

"Hmmm...Mac n cheese!"

I paused. I meant it when I said I'd never recovered from losing Brady.

"...Okay kid. Comin right up."

"Are you okay Papa?"

"Yeah, don't worry about it JJ. Go wait in the living room, okay?"

"Okay!" He smiled then went to the living room.

Alright. I want to be able to see my son smile at me and not feel a stab in the heart. And just like that, I'm getting yet another flashback.

1977

"Bucky?" Brady tugged on my jeans.

"What's up, kid?"

"I punched a kid."

"Holy— Wait a minute—What?"

"Yeah...But they hit me first-!...I'm sorry."

"No, no...I'm proud of you. Someone hits you, you hit them back harder."

"Okay! And I finally got at least an A minus on my Spelling Test!"

"Good job, Captain! You deserve a treat. Anything you want."

"Hmmm...Mac n' cheese!" He beamed.

"Coming right up! Go wait in the living room, okay?"

"Okay!" He smiled at me and began to run off, so I turned, about to make the Mac n cheese before I felt him hug me tightly from behind.

"Pf- what is it, Captain?"

"I love you Bucky! You're the best big brother in the world!"

"Awww, I love you too." I smiled.

1984

"Hey Captain!" I knocked on his bedroom door.

"Since when do you visit me on my birthday? I thought you had to study." He turned to me. God, he looked sick and tired. I tried to stop him from relapsing and rehab wasn't an option for many, many reasons. And was that a black eye? I am gonna kill Victor one of these days...I was really worried, but I didn't want to ruin the mood. Especially on his birthday.

"I do, but I'd rather come see you. How are you?"

"Eh. You?"

"I'm okay. I know I usually just send you a gift, but I want to be here for this one. Sixteen is a big one!" I handed him the gift.