Chapter 26

Everly~

Talon's arm tightened around me as we made our descent, causing my stomach to drop as we plunged toward the ground. It wasn't until the beast beneath us had come to a complete stop that Talon removed the cloth from my eyes, stuffing it into the saddle bag.

He said very little to me which was not out of character, but for some reason it hurt my heart.

"I'm sure Ronan beat us here." Talon finally said as he took hold of my restraints and led me toward a large stone building that looked like a small castle.

I didn't say a word and simply followed Talon wherever he guided me as we entered the large dwelling.

Ronan sat on the stairs with his head in his hands, lifting it when we came into view.

"Is this your home?" I asked, looking around at the high ceilings.

"Yes." Ronan answered swiftly.

"Does it have a dungeon?"

Letting his eyes meet mine, Ronan pushed out a hard sigh before he answered me.

"Yes."

"Is that where I'll be staying?" My words were slow and cautious.

Ronan's expression was hard and stern, but he didn't seem to be as angry as he was in the clearing.

"No."

No? What happened to rotting in a cell for the rest of my days?

"Remove those restraints and take her upstairs." Ronan said to Talon who instantly moved, taking the chains from my wrists quickly.

"Kaes placed a barrier around the perimeter, if you run, we will know in a matter of seconds." Ronan warned me.

Giving him a nod of my head, I followed Talon up the stairs, watching Ronan sink back down with a thud once he thought he was out of sight.

"You'll sleep in here." Talon informed me, opening a door that revealed a small room with a large window and bed.

Expecting a dungeon or a cage of some sort, I leaned my head into the room before turning back to face Talon.

"This is a bedroom." I stated in surprise, pointing at the room in front of us.

"Very observant." Talon said flatly.

"I thought he wanted me locked up."

"I guess the barrier that Kaes placed around the house is enough." Talon said with a shrug.

Walking into the room, I surveyed the bed, running my hand across the soft fabric that covered it. Talon moved away from the door without saying a word, but I stopped him before he could leave me.

"Talon?"

He didn't respond verbally, but stalled beside the door where he was still visible.

"What did you mean when you said Thaddeus got what he deserved?"

Letting out a deep sigh, Talon internally wrestled with himself before speaking to me.

"It's not my place to say." He finally replied. An answer that I wasn't satisfied with, but accepted anyway.

Without another word, Talon was gone and I heard his footsteps going down the stairs. Left in the room with nothing except my own thoughts, I took a seat at the window, leaning against the large opening as I let one arm hang over the edge. The night air felt cool against my skin and I sat there staring into the night sky for what felt like an eternity before my eyes became heavy.