Chapter 27

Everly~

I sat near the window until the sun peeked over the trees, giving me more energy than sleep ever could. I basked in it like a lizard on a rock, twirling my writs in the rays of light. Out of pure boredom, I'd allow my veins to glow and watch it spread down my arm, loving the vibration of power beneath my skin.

If they knew anything about me at all they wouldn't have given me a window.

The sound of rustling in the kitchen beneath my feet perked my ears and I chose to follow it, concealing the energy the sun had given me by extinguishing the glow with a snap of my fingers.

I'm getting rather good at this.

The constant thrum of power that pulsed through my veins had filled me with confidence, but that confidence dwindled slightly when I saw Ronan standing in the kitchen. One would think that I'd be used to the sheer size of the Thoracian wraiths at this point, but it was still an intimidating sight.

"Hungry?" Ronan asked without turning around, causing me to jump at the sound of his deep rugged voice.

"Yes."

Turning around to face me, Ronan had two plates in his hand. One with toasted bread and the other with eggs a mile high. Without saying a word, he scraped two eggs from his massive stack and a piece of toasted bread onto a plate before setting it in front of me.

"Thank you."

Carrying his plates, Ronan sauntered into the dining room, his shirtless upper body flexing and moving with every step he took.

Catching myself staring, I shook my head and internally scolded myself before grabbing my own plate and following him close behind.

"I wanted to ask you something." I said as soon as I sat down.

While Ronan didn't respond verbally, he stopped moving his utensils and became stoic and still in anticipation of my question.

"I was thinking...maybe you could let me...go home. You could say I escaped or attacked you and none would be the wiser. I could return to my village and my family and..."

"No." Ronan said firmly before returning to his meal.

"No? But it would be easy. You wouldn't even have to take me. I'm sure I could find my way if you'd just let me go."

"No, Everly." Ronan said my name as if it would soften the blow.

"Why? Why keep me here? Have I not endured enough?" I snapped, pushing the plate away from me in protest.

His eyes followed the plate as it slid across the table and skidded to a stop, but he didn't react which was infuriating.

"You'd be hunted." He growled.

"By who? You?"

"By everyone." His volume increased and his chest started to rise and fall a little faster. "Do you not understand what you have done?"

Folding my arms across my chest, I sat in silence, waiting for Ronan to continue.

"You killed one of the strongest Thoracian wraiths without touching him. You blinked those eyes in his direction and sucked the soul from his body. And while your attack was warranted, it doesn't change the fact that you have flaunted great power in front of the most power hungry men in existence. They will want to extinguish you or use you, but they'll never turn you loose."

I hated his words, mostly because I knew they were true.

"I have no intention of living my life as a prisoner." I hissed, slowly rising to my feet.