{Chapter Twenty-Three}

Layla's POV

I sighed as I rolled over in my bed. It was past midnight and I still couldn't get to sleep.

Ever since Violet and I had gotten here I had been getting good amounts of sleep and feeling refreshed, but I guess all good things must come to an end.
Because here I was sitting in bed, reading on my phone instead of being asleep.

Tomorrow, or I should say later on in the morning, Violet and I go to our internship with Deku. I might've just been overthinking it or letting my nerves get the better of me, but I hoped that once we got to our place of intern, I would be back to sleeping all night.

I placed my phone beside me as I looked up to the ceiling for a moment.
"What can I do to tire me out?" I muttered and sat up properly.
I got out of bed, grabbing my headphones and my phone, and walked out to the kitchen to have something to drink.

I got a glass out of one of the cupboards and just filled it with some tap water. I connected my headphones to my phone and played some music while I sat in the kitchen.

Once I finished I huffed and leaned my head against the counter, then an idea came in my head, "I mean, I could go for a walk around the block." I muttered, then I decided it was an amazing idea, so I carefully went back to my bedroom and put on a warm pair of pants and a jumper.

After pulling my hair up I quietly out on my shoes and opened the front door.

"I should be back in no time."

I slipped my hood over my head and started to walk down the street. It was quite dark besides the street lamps and a few house lights that were still on.

While the music was playing in my ears, I barely got the chance to notice that someone else was walking a bit behind me.
That was until I turned a corner thinking it was the end of the street, only to find out it was an alley way.

"God dammit." I spoke aloud and spun around to just keep walking, that was when I was met with a pair of glowing, blue eyes.

"You know, you shouldn't be out here by yourself, there could be villains around." The man spoke in a dark and raspy tone.
Not gonna lie, he was very hot and I'm not going to deny it.

Even though my thoughts weren't very PG-13, apparently my face seemed like I was scared. The man raised an eyebrow at me and crossed his arms.

"I could be a villain for all you know." He added, and me with my big mouth couldn't help myself from saying something stupid.

"A very hot one at that." I immediately slapped myself for my stupidity, just to hear the man chuckle.

"Well, you wouldn't be wrong about that." Before I could ask what he meant, he moved his hand out so I could see it, then a flame as blue as the man's eyes appeared on his hand.

I gasped and a grin placed itself on my face, "Oh, cool! Is it hot?" I went to touch it, but he got rid of the flame the moment I was about to touch it.

"Oh no we can't have you burning yourself. Afterall, those flames are thing that caused these." He gestured to the purple scars on his arms, chest and face. I think he was trying to intimidate me, but it didn't really work because I just smiled wider and whispered 'cool!' under my breath.

He seemed a bit taken aback by my comment but stayed composed. "Well, listen closely kid," he grabbed my wrist and started to heat up his hand, "I was going to just burn you to a crisp, but I respect women and you intrigue me. So consider yourself lucky, now run off back home and don't come out at night again." His hand was getting really hot and I quickly nodded.

He let go of me and I started to walk out of the alleyway and back home, but I couldn't help but take a glance back at the man.

"What's your name?" I asked him, he seemed a little tense but chuckled.

"I'm sure you'll find out one day kid." He walked out of the alleyway and turned the opposite way to the house.

"See ya then." I raced home and cautiously opened the door and took off my shoes.

I looked around to see if Midnight was back from her patrol, but from the looks of everything, it didn't look like she had gotten back yet.

Without a second thought, I went back to my bedroom and got hopped into bed. I didn't bother taking off the clothes I'd put on before my walk.

All I wanted to do was fall asleep, which I did surprisingly pretty quickly.

*。⁠*゚* ∘⁠˚⁠˳⁠°*⁠.✧ ⁠✿。⁠*☆*⁠.⁠。✷*⁠.⁠✧*。♡∘⁠˚⁠˳

"WAKE UP SLEEPY HEAD! I can't believe I'm the one waking you up, it's usually the other way around." I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and saw Violet standing over my bed with a cup in her hand.

"Don't tell me you were going to pour water on me to wake me up." I raised my eyebrows at her and she giggled and stepped away from the bed with an evil grin.

"Noooo!" Her body language and the way she spoke with a smile on her face was clear evidence that she was going to pour the water on me.

"Get out of here you little gremlin." And she ran out of my room giggling and laughing while I shook my head.

I think what happened last night wasn't a bad thing, because I didn't wake up in a terrible mood. So I guess it was a win win.