Chapter 13

Sawyer did text and call several times, and when she found herself getting excited about the prospect of having him in her life, she had to remind herself that there was no way it would last. He was an international movie star, and she was a nobody. They lived in different worlds on separate sides of the country.

Gary had wanted her to quit her job and support him in hers; wouldn't Sawyer expect the same? She doubted he would consider quitting acting and moving to Florida to be with her. He probably hadn't even had such a thought. No, she knew if a permanent relationship developed between them, and that was big if, she would have to change.

Elyse wouldn't consider it for Gary, but for Sawyer, she might, and that scared her. 

Sawyer was about to pick her up and take her to see his mother, but Elyse was unsure how to play it.  When he had first asked her, she had been excited and nervous, but then he had requested that she wear her uniform, bringing her back to reality with a bump. Was he going to introduce her as a friend, lover, or the woman who saved Reyna's life? If she was honest with herself, she didn't know how she wanted him to play it.

Sawyer had been in her home and bed every weekend for the last few weeks. Elyse knew they had a house near the hospital, but when he was in town, he was with her if her schedule allowed.

That was a good sign, wasn't it? He was willing to arrange his off time to work with hers. But would he be that willing when his mother returned home, and there was no reason other than her for him to visit?

Elyse grew pale at the idea that she might only be convenient to him. That the only reason he came around was because she was the girl in this particular port.

When his knock came, she still hadn't recovered from the upsetting thought, so her greeting was a bit strained, and he looked at her oddly.

"Hard day?" he asked with a frown.

"Something like that. Are you ready?" Elyse grabbed her coat off the chair and let him know she was ready when he was. Perhaps if they were moving, she could act somewhat normal until she felt normal again.

She really didn't want to be convenient, but he hadn't reiterated his feelings of falling for her since that day on the beach.

He waited while she locked her door and then escorted her to a non-descript sedan.

"I thought you would have a fancier car," she mused as he joined her.

"No," he started the engine.  "Fancy draws attention. I want to stay under the radar."

Elyse nodded. Did he want to keep their relationship under the radar as well? She understood that her life would change if the press learned about them, but what about his family?

"Your mother, how am I supposed to present myself to her?" Elyse asked, knowing his answer would tell her all she needed to know.

"As yourself, of course." He looked at her with a charming grin, and Elyse watched his graceful fingers as they controlled the steering wheel. His hands could do amazing things, and she shivered at the thought.

"No, that's not what I mean. Am I a friend, a close friend, a lover, a girlfriend, or the woman who saved her?" Elyse watched him frown, and she quickly turned to look out the window. His lack of an answer was enough.

"Aren't those all kind of the same thing?" he asked, his smile returning. "Except for the last one."

"No, they're not," Elyse shook her head. "A girlfriend can be a close friend, but not necessarily a lover, and a lover doesn't always mean girlfriend or even close friend, and a friend is neither a lover nor a girlfriend."