01| Uni admission

The noise coming from the kitchen is exactly what I need to know it's time to get up before mama burges in to yank my blankets away. The sun coming in through the curtains tells me it's way past my time to wake up.

From a young age mama would tell my sister and I that a young woman doesn't sleep till the sun shines in their faces. Or rather, their bottoms as she finely put it, not sugar coating anything.

I peel the blankets from my body and stretch my long legs before waking up. I quickly make my bed, open curtains and windows when I hear the sound of my mother coming closer to my bedroom. I need to pretend like I have been awake for quite sometime.

As I hear her about to open the door I look around the tiny room to see if there's no evidence that I snuck out last night. Mama would have my head if she knew I was out at night without their permission. The door opens and she looks around and stares at the window I just opened.

"I always tell you to wake up early, a young woman like you can't let the sun to shine in her bottom you know." She says fixing the doek on her head.

"Morning mama, I have been awake for a while now." I say smiling.

"This child!" She mumbles. "I always tell you that I wasn't born yesterday, go and bath then do your chores." She says already walking out.

For a middle class people, we have are privileged that most people in our small country. My parents have devoted their entire lives to making sure that we have everything that we needed, taking us to the best schools in the country.

This is where I met the love of my life Gift Tau, a coloured boy as they often call him. His mother is Sotho while his dad is white, hence the name.

As I take a quick bath, I think of what Gift said last night.

"Why don't you come with me to Cape Town baby girl?"

It's no secret that I have always wanted to go to Cape Town, I mean this is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and don't get me started on the history in that place. I have to think of a lie to tell mama and daddy, so they allow me to go to Cape Town.

When I am done bathing I wrap a towel around my body and go back to my room. As I open the door I see my phone screen lighting up and I unlock it to find an email.

We are pleased to inform you that you are admitted at Witwatersrand University....

I don't read the rest of the email as it crosses my mind that this may be just what I can use to get my parents to allow me to go to South Africa.