02| Lies

This is the best news I have heard all week, it  definitely brightened my day, especially because I have been so down from the moment Gift told me he is going to Cape Town to see his dad.

I look through my wardrobe to look for something to wear, something cute yet not too fancy. And there's no way I will be doing any chores today, I just hope mama will let me get away from them just for today.

A white skort and orange crop top seem great for the weather outside, I wear them with my black sandals. Since I'm going for a cute look today, I put on some mascara and lip gloss.

When I'm happy with my look I take my side bag and go to the kitchen where I believe mama is. As soon as she sees me she knits her eyebrows, wondering what the hell I'm wearing when I'm supposed to be doing my chores.

Before she can question me I take out my phone and show it to mama, knowing she will be proud that I got admitted.

"Thank God my child, nothing is impossible with Him. I told you He listens when we pray to Him." She says as though worshipping God already.

I was raised to be believe in something greater than I am, that being God, but I feel like mama is being dramatic right now. I mean ain't I the one who was bursting my ass studying hard so I could get into UNISA and Wits?

"May I please go to town mama, I need to print their admission letter so I can start the student visa process already." I tell her putting on what I believe to be my best poker face.

"So you are not going out with your friends to celebrate?" Mama asks.

"W-well, now that you mention it. Yes, I need to ask Kiki and Lee to meet me at the mall." I cough to disguise my lie.

Truth is I'm going straight to Gifts place in Maseru east, not any of the places I mentioned. I will just have to print my admission at his place so mama doesn't catch into my lie.

"Okay, but don't be late. You know how your father can get." She dismisses me and carries on with her chores.

I'm about to get out when I decide to hint at my mother that I might not spend the rest of my summer at home.

"There's also another email saying we have to go to the Uni campus this summer, so that we can get the campus tour, and familiarise ourselves with it before going to school end of January." I say with confidence so she doesn't see through my lie.

"Okay, we will talk more about it later when your dad arrives." Mama says not giving anything away and with that I walk out.