013 WHEN THE CICADA CALLS

Lydia hummed, drawing in the margins of her notes as the gang sat in biology, the teacher, Dr. Yantz, talking about cicadas. She sat behind Shaggy, occasionally tapping his shoulder to get a Nature Sliver chip. "The cicada... The most perfect insect in a decidedly imperfect world." Dr. Yantz smiled, bringing the bug up to his face and kissing its shell. Lydia made a face, leaning past Shaggy to watch as the teacher put the cicada back into its tree habitat.

"Did he just kiss a bug?" Fred whispered, clearly meant just for Daphne, but was loud enough for Lydia to hear, "Yeah... Isn't he just the best?" Daphne sighed dreamily.

"The cicada's life cycle is fascinating. As grubs, they burrow into the ground, where they spend the next seventeen years." Dr. Yantz explained calmly. Scooby cleaned forward from his seat, tapping Velma on the shoulder to offer her a Nature Slivers chip, only for her to wave him off, going back to writing notes. "Changes in our ecosystem, though, could wipe out the precious cicada." The teacher started walking down the rows of desks.

"Which is why we need to keep watch on companies who pollute nature. Isn't that right, Shaggy and Scooby?" Dr. Yantz glared at the two as he stopped directly in front of them. "Are you aware that Grandma Moonbeam's Nature Slivers are manufactured by Destroido? And every bite you take supports to the biggest polluter in Crystal Cove?"

Shaggy looked confused, "No... but they're, like, super good!" He mumbled through a full mouth as Lydia stretched over his shoulder to take a few chips, Scooby nodding along, "Reah!" He held his bag up to Dr. Yantz, "Want one?"

The man scoffed, crossing his arms, "I don't even know why I let you take this class..." He grumbled. Just then, the bell rang, everyone packing up and walking out generally quickly.

Fred took the lead, actually looking a bit angry, "That guy's a total nut!" He frowned, Daphne following after with a dreamy look on her face, "I think Dr. Yantz is amazing..." She smiled, Fred quickly turning to look at her surprised, "What? What're you talking about?"

Daphne shrugged, "Well... for one thing, he's... he's intelligent!" "And cute." Velma piped up, the two continuing to walk off as the guys stopped, Lydia bumping into Fred's back, "Ow-" "Yeah? Well, I wonder how cute he'd look caught in one of my traps! A real mean one!"

"Like... are you okay, Freddie?" Shaggy asked, Fred looking at him confused, "Of course I'm okay! Why wouldn't I be okay?" "You're looking green." Lydia piped up, the blond just looking more confused as Shaggy nodded, "Jealous!" Scooby clarified.

Fred scoffed a bit, "What? What're you talking about? Jealous- I'm not jealous." He shook his head. Shaggy made a face as he stops chewing, sticking a few fingers in his mouth and pulling out a slip of paper, squinting to read it, "It's a note from Mr. E! Must've been in my bag of Nature Silvers... He says there's a mystery waiting for us at the hospital. There's been some sort of weird accident!"

Fred took the note, reading it over, "What kind of accident?" Shaggy coughed, another piece of paper coming out of his mouth, reading it over, "He says we'll find out when we get there!" Lydia frowned, "I could've ate one of those notes!"

"Let's get Daphne and Velma, then get over to the hospital!" Fred smiled, patting Lydia's shoulder.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓ ❔ ┏━━━━━━━━━━━━

Mystery Incorporated ended up walking across the street to the hospital, a police cruiser parked outside. "Looks like Mr. E's right! Something's up, that's Sheriff Stone's car." Velma pointed out as they passed the car. "Like, maybe we can stop by the hospital cafeteria when we're done and get some of that delicious hospital gelatin." Shaggy smiled.