𝟎𝟎𝟏.

|GENESIS|

001.

december 1995

december 1995

Zach drums his hands on the steering wheel to the beat of 'Just'

"...And teach you how to be a holy cow
You do it to yourself, you do
And that's what really hurts
Is that you do it to yourself, just you
You and no one else
You do it to yourself
You do it to yourself..."

His knuckles are still raw five days after beating up Lucas Bennett and sending him to the hospital with a broken nose and cheekbone—Zach's luck...Lucas threw the first punch. His car is warm as he drives to drop off Shauna after Jeff and Jackie kind of blew her off at the Winter Fair. His heart is racing, and his cheeks are probably flushed right now—Shauna Shipman is in my car... "I'm sorry about Jackie leaving you like that." He offers her as he lowers the volume of the music, with trembling hands.

"I was getting tired of third-wheeling already. It's fine." She says with a dismissive shake of her head.

"Still." His eyes turn back to the road, and he swallows the lump in his throat.

"Are your parents home?" The question catches him off-guard. Why does she want to know if my parents are home? He can't for the life of him figure it out.

"No...they...uhm...they have this fundraiser thing at the country club. Won't be home for like four hours. Why?" Zach slows down seeing the red light above him.

"We could hang out." She suggests with a shrug of her shoulders. And Zach is even more confused now than he was ten seconds ago. It's been years since the two of them have been alone in a room, and home alone...? It has never happened.

"We haven't hung out since we were twelve."

"Fine, if you don't want to just drop me off."

"No...no...I...we can hang out. I bought a new CD...the band, 'Oasis', they sound good. I think you'll like them." He presses the gas as the light turns from red to green. Zach's hands are sweating on the wheel, he dries them on his jeans as Shauna turns her head to look outside the window.