prologue

Being a legacy isn't something that Sunny wanted

Being a legacy isn't something that Sunny wanted. She wanted to be her own person which she was for a while, until the pressure became too much. The woman left what she loved to do most and joined the military, to fulfill her lifes' destiny.

Almost everyone in her family joined the military after high school, excluding her grandmother.

Because of this, she joined, then later became part of the FBI, just like her uncle, who adopted her when she was only a child, after the death of her mother. Seeley Booth was known for his work and made a name for himself.

Joining the FBI, in the BAU department at the age of 21 didn't help but push the false narrative. She didn't believe that she was anything special despite growing up around the field her entire life, she just followed orders that were given.

Putting thousands of unsubs in prison, saving victims and all of the scary things she had seen over the years but none of it prepared her for the day she would get kidnapped, being tortured and practically knocked on death's door. Her team wouldn't be able to find her until almost a month later.

Which is how we got here, the day she would come back to work after a four month break, finally being cleared from her doctor and therapist.

Nothing can prepare you for going back to work after you and your partner got kidnapped by an unsub and turned out to be the only one to survive. Sunny Booth, niece and adopted daughter of FBI legacy, Seeley Booth, has been dreading this day for the last two weeks.

Technically, it wasn't her first day back. It was just a meeting with her boss, however it was her first time back in the office, seeing her coworkers outside the comfort of her own home.

Sunny looked at herself in the mirror one last time, putting her brown leather jacket on. The person staring back at her was someone she didn't know. 

She lost her partner that night. It was just supposed to be a standard nightly routine. Cassie was the first to get taken. A day later, it was Sunny's turn.

The basement was dark and cold, it smelt like mildew and rotten. That smell will be permanently in her nose for the rest of her life.

Cassie fought back but she didn't make it.

The burning sensation in her eyes snapped her back to reality. She shook her body, readjusting. Sunny grabbed her keys and headed out of her apartment.

--

Nothing had changed in the office during her time away. Stale coffee burned her nose, ringing of the phones echoed, slight chattering and typing in the background.