Chapter Seven - Amelia

After bidding Kane and Seth goodbye, I take a seat at the dining table. Oliver sits beside me, waiting for me to say something I assume. "What?" I ask, probably too aggressively.

"You look like you're about to have a stroke. Seth seems okay now, Kane promised they're only walking around the block for air – they're not far." He smiles reassuringly.

"It's not that."

"Then what is it?"

"Something Morgana said cause that to happen to him. I'm sure of it. You saw the way she approached him when she got here. And she even admitted to hiding something. No one is meant to hide things in this house – I thought I was really clear about it. I won't hate anyone for their past!"

"There are some things that even as demons, we're afraid to admit to."

"Anything you're afraid to admit to?"

"Lots of things." That's concerning.

"Anything you should be telling me?"

"Not sure...I admit every now and then when you're sleeping naked on top of me it is hard to resist." I roll my eyes, but his expression doesn't change.

"Oh, you mean the whole, we're demons and we've all thought of killing you cause its what we do, argument?" I paraphrase.

"Exactly. You're one of us, Amelia. You're our friend, our family, and my love – you have command over our every action, but we are demons...monsters. We can't control the thoughts that pass our minds no matter how desperate we are."

"And yet Kane, the one who none of you thought could do it, resisted."

"Resisting isn't as easy as you think."

"Why are you being so hard on yourself?"

"I just don't want to think of you like that." Dead, is what he means. He doesn't want to see me dead. Before continuing, I hear the footsteps touch the staircase and make their way closer. Looking over my shoulder I see Alistair, preoccupied by his phone as he reaches the bottom step.

"Alistair?" I catch his attention and his head flips up – a kind smile on his face.

"Good afternoon, can I assist you with anything, milady?"

"Milady?" I almost chuckle but try to keep a straight face. "Is that a usual turn of phrase in hell?"

"When a demon addresses an Angel, absolutely."

"Oh, hear that?" I playfully punch Oliver in the arm, "I expect to be called milady from now on." It was his turn to roll his eyes at me. "Anyway, I was wondering, do you know what Morgana meant earlier – when she told Seth to keep her secret and she would keep his?"

"Are you asking if I know Morgana's secret, or your cousin's?"

"Either."

"I know both."

"Can you tell me one?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Neither is my secret to convey. Also disobeying Morgana is not a favorable pastime of mine."

"Wait," I stand up and walk over to him, ", the whole hell and punishment and high and mighty act she has going on – that's not real like she doesn't actually punish you and make you sleep on the floor does she?"

He contemplates his answer before responding, "The comment about me sleeping on the floor was because I often do. Morgana's life is highly sought after – and although I'm not supposed to be in her chambers while she is sleeping I find it impossible to sleep knowing she unprotected."

"Whoa. That's fiercely loyal, Alistair."

"I take that as a compliment."

"It doesn't answer my question about the whole punishment thing." He takes in a deep breath, I suppose he hoped he skated around my question.

"She doesn't anymore." He states.

"So, she used to?"

"It was a requirement."

"Why? Did you make her tea too hot?"

"He's a Hell's demon." I almost jump out of my skin at Morgana's voice. I didn't hear her come down the stairs and Alistair's size made it too hard to see her approach.

"Why does he have to be punished for being a demon?"

"It's not exactly a punishment." She clears her throat, looking up at Alistair, then stepping between himself and I. "Hell's demons are susceptible to human desire. They deal with it every day. When they're younger they run the risk at losing themselves to those desire and since they can escape...let's just say it's better to be beaten out of them early."

"That's horrible!"

"No!" I step back as her eyes spark, not just an ember glow but almost a shine comes through as the anger in her settles. "What's horrible is demons that spend time with rapists, paedophiles, murderers, and get drawn those strong sick desires. You want a demon with those desires loose on your streets?"

Alistair clears his throat, even catching Morgana off guard as he interrupts. "Amelia, if I may," He begins, ", you've never been inside a soul crystal. When you enter, the emotions of the soul become part of you. Suddenly your morals aren't your own anymore. But physical pain? That's something that can be recalled upon when you're inside and you're slowly losing your mind. Just because we're demons doesn't make us immune." I can only imagine how distorted my face must look hearing this, but I relent.

"I'm sorry." I say. "From my perspective, it sounds...a lot worse."

Morgana scoffs, "If you learnt to punish your demons correctly they wouldn't have such strong murderous desires either. Let me know if you need me to show you how."

"Do not comment on my boys, Morgana. There's nothing wrong with them. Don't even talk about hurting them."

Her eyes narrow at me. Shit, what have I done. "I'll warn you, properly and just once. Threaten me in any way again and I will skin you, and your demons, and use you all for designer handbags." With no other word she turns around and walks out the front door. Alistair shrugs, looking a little apologetic but follows closely behind her.

"I have a bad feeling,Oliver. And it's got nothing to do with designer handbags."