Prologue

BEADS OF SWEAT DRENCHED YOUR SKIN, leaving trails on your temples as you mounted on the back of your horse.

"Y/N!" One of your Squad-mates called out as you reached out your arm, helping them aboard the back of the leather-saddle. You could hear their exerted breaths against the nape of your neck as your hands wrapped tighter around the reigns, your hips shifting back and forth in a rocking motion.

You used your free hand to cup around your lips, calling out: "Onward!" as the rest of your group swiftly followed your lead.

You could hear the distant stampede of a wild titan following your trail, before slowly growing more distant as its leg was caught successfully in the trap you had created.

You confidently smiled, glancing back to your Squad members with a nod that your plan had been a success.

The autumn air was claustrophobically humid, suffocating your lungs as your tongue searched for a breath of fresh air. Your lips had become dry and chapped; you pulled the latch of your drink from the bottle, pouring it into your mouth as you replenished your first.

Yet still, your lips remained parched.

In the time you'd spent back at Lord Wald's castle, the only thing on your mind had been missions; your capability towards your personal technique and skills were remarkable, so much so that you had become a house-hold name in the neighbouring towns and villages. Notoriety was never something you aimed for when becoming a Scout, although you surprisingly enjoyed having your achievements acknowledged on such a large scale.

You sighed, your neck arching back as the warm wind caressed your sensitive skin.

You could see the faint outline of the castle from up ahead, although, there was something that caught you off guard..

a carriage?

Your brow perked, tilting your head to the side curiously.

It wasn't often that strangers were allowed in the castle, and the Lord rarely had visitors.

You squinted your eyes to try and focus, leaning forward as the crimson curtains caught your eye: you noticed the roses carved into the wood of the carriage, meaning that it was owned by the Garrison Regiment within the walls.

Curious on the mysterious visit, you decided to speed up to see what was going on.

Upon your arrival, you were immediately greeted by the faint sound of arguing coming from a room upstairs. Now more curious than ever, you swiftly followed the aggressive yells: step-by-step tiptoeing up the marble stair case and down the luxurious corridor of the castle.

You traced your fingertips along the panels of the rich walls, using your ears to follow the conflict that was growing louder by the step.

"Dammit, Pixis!" You heard the Lords voice snap.

Your eyes shot open, your walking turning to a run as you realised who Lord Wald was arguing with.

"Last time I saw you, Pixis," He began to rant as you pressed your ear against the doorframe: "Was when you left me out here on my own! I don't plan on letting you take my best soldier - not after the things I've heard that are going on inside of the walls!"

Pixis scoffed as you heard the slap of his palm on a wooden table: "But it is not by my order - it is Queen Historia's!" Pixis argued back, fiercely defending himself as you grew more confused, "Are you truly trying to oppose the Queens wishes?"

"I-..!"

'They plan to take one of the seven back within the walls?' You cringed at the thought as the arguing carried on.